Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeking Help With My Thermometer Technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeking Help With My Thermometer Technique

I'm gradually building my confidence with my Weber charcoal kettle, but my thermometer technique is weak. I have the Thermopop by Thermoworks, which should be good, so the problem I'm having must rest with me.

To check the temperature of boneless rib eye, I pick it up from the grill with tongs and stick the Thermopop into the meat sideways.

I often get crazy temperatures when I do this. On one occasion, the temperature displayed was 98 degrees after the steak was on the grill for almost 7 minutes. Recently, I was shocked to get a reading of 189 degrees, but when I got the steak to my plate it was textbook medium rare - my best steak ever (so far.)

If anyone has tips and techniques for testing temperatures, I'll really appreciate them.

You have to probe with the thermo for the lowest temp. I also stick the probe in from the side, but after the meat has been on the grill long enough to start cookin' in the center, you need to move it around a bit to find the lowest temp. By that I mean wiggle it up and down to make sure you have found the center which should be at the lowest temp.

I also will hold the thermo on top of the meat and place the end of the probe where I think the center is. Then I place my thumb on the shaft at the edge of the steak and insert the probe to where my thumb is. So I am estimating where the center is for both thickness and width.

Ya still need to verify by checking different spots on your hunk o' meat when you pull it off the grill.
    Last edited by RonB; July 6, 2021, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Don't forget that it takes 3 to 4 seconds for the Thermopop to reach an accurate reading. You will find that fat versus lean portions of the meat tend to rise in temperature at different rates. When cooking brisket, I always temp the lean portion (the flat) versus the point, as the point with its high fat content always reads higher.

You seem to be following the process I do - I probe steaks and pork chops from the center of the edge, and push my Thermapen in until the tip is somewhere near the center of the steak. But you can also put it in from the top without picking up the steak, if you consider how deep you insert the tip, so that the tip is in the center of the meat. The only time I get crazy high readings is if I push through the steak and touch the grate or go into the air below the steak.

Comment

These are all great ideas. Thank you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here