Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reverse sear tri-tip...in foil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokenoob
    commented on 's reply
    Papa Bob I’m not the OP, I was just commenting.

• Papa Bob
    commented on 's reply
    Go for it, its your cook but it looks like to me hot fire, control up and down hot and steady. Sure slow and low if that floats your boat cook law and slow. told you my 2 cents worth is only worth 1 1/2 cents 😎😎😎

• smokenoob
    replied
    I don’t know, looking at a Santa Maria grill looks like the objective is slow cook, not smoke (since it is open cooker) at low temp so foil wrap may be the way to go on that style cooker.

Leave a comment:

• Papa Bob
    replied
    Well here is my 2 cents worth, that's probably only worth 1 1/2 cents. Santa Maria style is really about the equipment an open pit with a lot of control up and down, you can lower it all the way down to the fire and raise it way up for relief from intense high heat. I watched the video and all looks good a little over cooked for my liking, don't know why he didn't put the probe in when he first started but what ever floats your boat. seasoning, For me salt and I mean a good amount put in ice box day or two finish with pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion. get your fire going get some nice coals I use lump charcoal, put on a couple of chunks of wood I use oak and fruit and nut wood if you live in or near Santa Maria Ca . they will tell you you have to use red oak. bite me I cant tell the difference between oak, red oak, post oak, Okie from Muskogee. I use peach or cherry or apple, walnut almond you get my drift lower the grate until it starts sizzling raise it turn it, take it off when the internal temp reaches about 120 you will have a nice chard crust put it in your ice chest with probe still in so you know where your at. I put said tri tip in the ice box for a day or two, take it out and slice it really thin. make ajus with beef stock and all resting juices, beef dip sandwich, which I affectionally Calle dip sandwich. If you all noticed not one person raved how tender it was son of a gun sliced a little two thick for me Santa Maria style is the equipment used not the seasoning or wood. Tri tip is not the most tender piece of meat but you can help it cut across the grain, cut it as thin as you can "Deli Slicer works great if you have one" good roll that will hold up to dipping into ajus heat meat up in ajus load heavenly into roll. chop some onion and cilantro together open an ice cold beer great juicy and TENDER samy

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    That is different,it would be OK if paired with PBR.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    It seems like he is braising it before he tries to get a good sear crust. I wonder how good the crust will be. It should be plenty tender.

Leave a comment:

• das85
    started a topic Reverse sear tri-tip...in foil?

Reverse sear tri-tip...in foil?

Was browsing YouTube for videos to help me learn Santa Maria cooking and found this which kinda blew my mind: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_Omca7CNX-U

For those who don't want to watch 10-min video, the punch line is he reverse sears a tri-tip on a Santa Maria grill but starts it in foil and leaves there until the sear at the end.

I always figured the point of reverse searing over live fire was getting some smoke before searing..

Anyone here use this technique regularly or have thoughts?

He's using fresh garlic and onion in his rub, so wonder if that's what motivates the foil so they can steam instead of just charring..

Or if this is a technique to preserve moisture in the meat..

Or if trying to keep smoke out of the flavor profile..

Very curious to hear what this group makes of it!

My next step may also be do 2 tri-tips side by side, one in foil and one not, see what happens..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here