Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Kobe brisket plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Kobe brisket plan

My nature, when I set out to do something that I consider artistic, is to think about it and plan it until I can predict exactly what is going to happen, and what it will be like when it is done. And actually that is not contrary at all to the nature of art, because art is all about hard work. You allow for surprises, but good art is mostly a lot of work.

I've read stuff ALL OVER THE PLACE about these things, and I've taken it all into consideration. Here's what I'm going to do.

Cut in question is the 14-17lb SRF Kobe gold full packer brisket. Tool is a large Big Green Egg with a BBQ Guru. Fuel is lump hardwood charcoal, smoke will be hickory. It will be trimmed and salted, and I'm going to rub with BBBR because I really like that.

The limiting factor for me is TIME. I'm not going to put that son of a gun on at midnight. And I don't think it's wise to put it on at noon, either. But I got up around 5AM to do the last one, and while I was feeling sort of beat up later that afternoon, it was doable. So I'm going to put it on around 5-6AM.

Im going to separate the flat from the point. Because of TIME. And anyhow I have lots of thermometers. I can put a Maverick in the point and the Guru in the flat. I'll do the flat on the lower rack and the point on the upper rack.

Folks have been posting pit temps of 250*. Eh, I dunno. I did the last one @225. Still haven't decided this one. What I'm actually tossing back and forth is either 250* and doing the broth injection, or 225* without the broth injection.

I'm going to wrap it after the bark forms, but depending on what time it is. If that bark forms at noon, there will be no wrapping; if it's 3PM, there will be wrap. I might use butcher paper instead of foil.

And of course it will all get cambro'd. The point will be turned into burnt ends, the flat will get sliced up.

Here's what all the research boils down to (NO, I'M NOT BOILING IT): Yeah, SRF Kobe brisket is expensive. and it's high quality. But it's still just a big clod of beef. I't not the most expensive roast I've ever cooked, not by a long shot (that was the steamship dry aged prime, don't ask how much, and it came out perfect). The only way to screw it up is to let it dry out. fzxdoc made the point that if the flat and deckle are left together, when the thickest part is 203 the thinner parts will be much higher. So the solution there is obvious. The point with a separate sensor is the answer. Injecting certainly won't dry it out, but it might make the stall last longer. Solution? 10% higher pit temp will help, as well as increase the woofwoof. Wrapping certainly won't make it dry out, and might help with the timing of the cook.

I'm all eyes and ears, of course. Nothing is happening until next week. But I can already predict perfection.

With as much thought and artistry as you're putting into this, you're going to have sure success. This is what a good brisket takes is a pitmaster who thinks it through and makes a solid game plan. Then you don't need luck, you just get your planned results. You're one-up already by starting with such a high quality piece of meat. You're two-up by putting this much planning into it.

My last successful Wagyu brisket saw the flat getting to 205 when the point was only 193. This was after a 10hr cook at ~235, with an intact brisket, with all fat trimmed between the two muscles. I had a gut feeling since this was such a highly marbled piece of meat that the 193 temp of the point wouldn't hurt anything after the 2hr fobro hold. It was perfect. Zero regrets. Well, one regret: I regret not getting the 17+ lb brisket.

I and doubtless many others await some serious photography skills when this event happens!

Comment

Mosca I will doing a Kobe Gold brisket on Labor Day weekend. I will be looking forward on reading and seeing how successful your cook turns out.

Comment

Mosca .

You're smoking with a BGE... Relax.

You and I both know that with a BGE you don't need to wrap. I personally figure if I need to wrap that was a planning mistake.

I prefer to cut the point from the flat and smoke them as 2 thinner pieces of meat. The cooking times is reduced and you get more surface area for bark, added flavor.

I.... Always do low and slow cooks at 225°. I plan for the stall on every cook. I plan my cook for at least 2 hours in a cambro. I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I know the cambro can protect my timing for up to 4 hours.

I'm hardcore low and slow... 225° until it is done! No wrapping, no powering through the stall, no injecting. I have a ceramic BGE, that means I don't need a water pan, that means I don't need to worry about a dry brisket, that means... I get a great bark!

I agree with you... Failing to plan - is planning to fail. A John Wooden quote.

I in no way think I'm a BBQ guru... I just know my BGE and what works for me.😎
        Last edited by Breadhead; August 23, 2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Breadhead, How long do you think these would take as two thinner pieces of meat? I'm really torn between starting a whole packer at midnight, or separating them and starting them at 6AM.

Also, people at the BGE forums are saying that the SRF Kobe briskets are done at a much lower temperature, like 185*. Cook to temp or cook to touch?

I feel like I'm standing on stage at The Price Is Right everyone yelling numbers and Drew is asking my for a bid.

Last edited by Breadhead; August 23, 2015, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Some more thinking, based on more knowledge...

So, the point takes longer than the flat, right? Originally my plan was to put the flat on the lower rack, and the point on the upper rack. But now I'm thinking I should put the point on the lower rack. Or at least move the point down when the flat is done.

I called SRF and asked about separating the two muscles, and Rich told me that is fine, he would recommend it in fact. He said that it didn't need to be injected, but also agreed that injecting it wouldn't hurt anything, and that the only way to screw things up would be to have it dry out.

Edited to add questions.

1) Has anyone used the Kansas City style sauce as a side for their brisket?
          2) Can you make "faux burnt ends" out of parts of the flat? I understand the differences between the two muscles, but it just seems to me that taking pieces of flat and frying them in the rendered fat would taste fantastic.
          Last edited by Mosca; August 26, 2015, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Problem with burnt ends from flat is the density of the muscle. It doesn't "relax" like the fattier point does, even a SRF Gold flat won't. It'll likely be good, just not as mouth-melty good.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              CandySueQ, Do you see any problem with separating the point and flat and doing them separately? Everyone who says not to do it, the only reason they give is, "I don't do it that way." But it would be a heck of a lot easier for these old bones to do this cook starting in the early morning than it would be to do it starting at midnight the night before.

Also, everyone is saying SRF Kobe briskets are done at a lower temperature, like 185-190. Do you have any guidance on this?

Thanks!

With such an expensive meat I'd opt for the lower temp. And then I'd relax, it is possible to overthink BBQ.

I do start my briskets at 5 - 6 PM a day before. Wrap at around midnight, finish in 200 degree oven. Cambro at 4-5 am, I got all day to party, no stress.

Comment

I started at 6am in a non BGE, for what it's worth. I too had read that Wagyu didn't need 200+ but Candy suggested to me that I go to full temp which I did in the flat. I think you'll be ok and I don't think starting at midnight is necessary unless you're cooking for lunch. Just offering something to help ease your worry.

Comment

The last Wagyu brisket that I cook I started at midnite which was way to early because it got done around 1pm and it wasn't going to be serve until 7pm. So the next one which will be next weekend will be starting around 5-6am for a 7pm serving time.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think the lower grade ones benefit from an 18hr plan.

This son-of-a-gun is frozen SOLID. Brisket might be Tuesday instead of Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
                  This son-of-a-gun is frozen SOLID. Brisket might be Tuesday instead of Sunday.
                  Mosca, not sure how tight your schedule is but you can put it in a cooler (or even bathtub) of cold water. Give it ~30min per lb to thaw. You could probably thaw it in 8 hrs tonight, trim & salt it in morning, still cook it Sun.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the advice, Huskee. I'll probably do that tomorrow morning, then trim and salt it tomorrow after work for cook Sunday morning.. I can't leave it in the cooler inside because the dog would definitely get it, and I can't leave it outside overnight because the bears/raccoons would get it. But I can leave it in the cooler during the day tomorrow.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice! I lacked the Gold label on mine...this will be wonderful

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If there is writing on a package of meat you can't read, you know it is going to be good. Unless you are looking at chicken paw (chicken feet) labeling headed to the People's Republic of China.

Thanks to Huskee advice, this roast is now thawed! I'm beat from work, resting a moment, then it's off to trim, salt, and prepare the BGE.
                  Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 29, 2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                    Jerod Broussard commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I took the apostrophe "s" off of Huskee so it would notify him. Good luck man!!!

I have three to cook next Friday.

That's cool. Always nice when you can help someone with an avenue they perhaps hadn't considered.

One time I ordered steaks from SRF and they came thawed! It was really hot weather I thought maybe they underestimated delivery time. The dry ice bags inside had evaporated & all. So we had to use them that night, since they actually felt like room temperature, not even really cold. I didn't want to risk even putting them in the fridge...it was a bummer. So, a week or two later I ordered the brisket and it was more really hot summer weather...so I thought if this brisket comes thawed I don't want to re-freeze it, so I'd better schedule delivery a day or two before the cook just in case. Well, it came frozen like a concrete block. So I learned the water thaw in a controlled panic in order to stay on schedule. Meathead has a page on it, and it's very helpful.

Hope you have a great cook today!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here