Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meathead’s Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meathead’s Burgers

Just finished reading Meathead’s article on burgers and I want to try burgers from home ground beef short ribs. A couple of questions. Are the "beef boneless ribs" in Costco actually rib meat or from another part of the steer? Also, if I buy true bone-in beef ribs, how much (if any) of the fat should I remove before I grind the meat? Thanks to all!! The OmegaDog

Those Costco "boneless ribs" are actually sliced chuck. So you’d have ground chuck. Not bad but not short rib.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
      OmegaDog12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks much!!

Those are sliced chuck.....or at least they are at my costco. Not sure why they label it as that.

If you buy the plate ribs, trim as much surface fat as you can. The rib meat is so rich that all the surface fat ends up being tossed when eating.......then there goes all your smoke, rub and bark too!

If you are making the burgers, id toss all of the surface fat and get really aggressive with it. As I stated above, there is a ton of inter muscular fat, so you will be fine with out that surface fat.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I render that fat down, and use it in other dishes.

• OmegaDog12
      OmegaDog12 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks much!! The Meathead Memorial Day BurgerFest topped with Clint Cantwell’s Bacon/Bourbon Jelly is on! Richard Chrz, what would you use the rendered fat on and how do you render it?
      The OmegaDog
      Last edited by OmegaDog12; May 27, 2021, 04:24 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here