Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Am I the only one who doesn't like "grass fed" beef?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I have to say that my complete ignorance in knowing how beef is prepared for slaughtering hasn't helped me out much. On a couple of occasions I have bought 80/20 grass fed for burgers. I noticed that the meat just seemed to taste different than I was used to. I bought maybe 1-2 more times and decided that it must be due to being grass fed, but really never dug deeper as to why the grass fed was different tasting. Now I know.

Thanks for the beef edgumacation....

Comment

I lived in the UK for several years and really got to liking grass fed beef. It does taste different, but to me it is beefier somehow. Harder to find at a reasonable price where I live now though (Pennsylvania).

Comment

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what a slogan like grass fed can do. True grass fed beef is cheaper to produce than grain finished. It cuts the feed lot step out of the process.

Bad grass fed beef is tough. Bad grain fed/finished beef is watery and flavorless. Mediocre grain fed/finished beef is edible, mediocre grass fed beef is borderline.

My experience is that there is more bad grass fed beef than there is bad grain fed/finished beef.

Solution: buy good beef and it won't matter. They are different, but, when good, both are excellent IMO.
      Last edited by Mosca; March 13, 2021, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I'm sure somebody (probably a bunch of somebodies) has said Fat is Taste! I have read that yes Corn messes up the Cows stomachs, However given the choice the cattle prefer corn. (kind of like me and Chocolate! its bad for me but I'll grab some anytime I can!) Just look at grass feed beef next to corn finished notice the difference in marbling (marbling is fat and fat is (EVERYBODY!) Taste!) Any websites that proudly exhibit "Grass Feed" I'm on to the next site!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here