Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vinagar based bbq sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vinagar based bbq sauce

I make a sweet with heat fruit based sauce. I've heard about the vinegar based sauce but have no clue how to make a good one. Any help out there?

Plenty of great recipes here:

The US has several distinct barbecue sauce styles from Kansas City to South Carolina, Eastern Carolinas, Western Carolinas, Texas, Alabama, Kentucky, Hawaii, Florida, Memphis and more. Here is a description of them, and links to buy them, and recipes.

Comment

Mike, you could also try scanning the BBQ Sauces channel, whcih is where I moved this post. My own personal sauce recipe uses vinegar, it's a tangy & sweet KC-style sauce. Not heavy vinegar, but more than most storebought KC styles that I'm familiar with.

Comment

I love those NC hot vinegar sauces!

Comment

Try Meathead's Sauce for briskets...on the Pitmaster free side...vinegar and beef stock plus other stuff

Comment

There are recipes here on the free site, but personally, I’ve been making one out of my well worn 10+ year old copy of the Barbeque Bible, and pretty sure they have a couple of recipes over at barbecuebible.com, not sure they are the same as the printed book, but it’s always been a hit at parties where it was used on both slaw and pulled pork.

Most of this past yesr I’ve just had a gallon jug of Blue’s Hog Tennessee Red on hand at all times and used it instead. Right now the wife is on a low carb kick, and I’ll probably mix up my own - Blue’s Hog has a lot of sugar in it.

Comment

NC has two varieties, Eastern and Western. Western is just IMHO Eastern style with tomato sauce added.
              A general recipe for Eastern:
              • ½ cup white vinegar
              • ½ cup cider vinegar
              • ½ tablespoon sugar
              • ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
              • ½ tablespoon Tabasco sauce or Texas Pete made in Winston Salem NC
              • Salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
              Plenty of variations on the basic sauce but this will get you started.

I also like Carolina Treet made in Wilmington NC.

Comment

• FishTalesNC
                FishTalesNC commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris This map visually explains the preferences in the Carolinas, including the mustard based sauces - typically my go to! https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...q-sauce-recipe

• Hulagn1971
                Hulagn1971 commented
                Editing a comment
                Donw this is exactly how Eastern NC sauce is made. I could drink this stuff.

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                My old neighbor from Aden, NC told me that ketchup was added if you were serving children.

I posted this in another thread regarding BBQ slaw, but this video also has the recipe I use for my vinegar sauce. I really enjoy it. You can find the ingredients in the description box. https://youtu.be/BMu8vPFS8To.

Comment

I like to cut my barbecue sauce from the bottle with red wine vinegar and a little hot sauce and add some citrus like lemon juice then heat it up in a pan with about 2 or 3 tablespoons of melted butter. I love this concoction on chicken.

Comment

My personal favorite, very easy to make too:

https://noblepig.com/2010/01/east-ca...r-pulled-pork/

Not sure how authentic it is, but it's darn good.

Comment

I make a really simple version.
                    Apple Cider Vinegar + MMD + Tabasco.

I got the idea from the New Orleans shrimp sauce on the mainsite, which is butter + MMD, and Steven Raichlen who makes a sauce with vinegar and essentially spice rub... MMD needs a bit of kick to work in vinegar, so that's what the tabasco is for. Cayenne would work in it's place.

Yeah, this was the base Raichlen recipe that I liked:
                    This recipe for Vinegar Sauce goes great with Smoked Suckling Pig and Vinegar Slaw. Recipe from Episode 212 of Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke.

Note: brown sugar+hot flakes+ground black pepper is basically replaced with MMD and extra hot sauce.

Comment

A great one to order if you don't want to make it is made by Scott's. They are based out of Goldsboro, NC.

Mac's Speed Shop makes a tasty one too.
                      Mac’s Speed Shop has dedicated our Eastern North Carolina BBQ sauce to our friend and co-worker, Eugene Coleman, who was homeless on the streets of

Comment

• Donw
                        Donw commented
                        Editing a comment
                        +1 on the Scott’s. Keep several bottles on the shelf at all times.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Funny thing, as that sauce is extremely local... not many people I know here like it. I think it's ok, I'm not a BBQ sauce person but I do actually like a lot of Eastern NC sauces... Scotts is just... ok. My wife HATED NC BBQ when we first moved here, but it grew on her. Her favorite sauce is no longer sold even here locally now, can't remember what brand it was. The store sells Scotts and Georges which are... ok. Carolina Treet however I do really like a lot!

Its not heavy on the vinegar; however, it is my fave bbq sauce which is made from the KC bbq sauce recipe on AmazingRibs.com . I especially enjoy it added to the boston baked beans. I make the american chili powder from the dried pods and sprang for the tamarind. Folks keep coming back for more, yum.

Comment

"Shack Attack" is a vinegar sauce that has been around for a long time. I always have a bottle of it at the ready.

SHACK ATTACK - vinegar bbq sauce

1 1/2 cup Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4 cup water

1/4 cup of your favorite hot sauce

1 Tablespoon (TBS) Paprika

1 TBS Black Pepper

1 TBS Kitchen Salt

2 TBS Yellow Mustard (French)

Mix well, let sit for at least 24 to 48 hours before serving for best results.

Comment

Hello! Barbecue sauce represent one of my gastronomic weaknesses. I am like a fanatic whenever I come across a new brand of bbq sauce that I have never seen before I can't help tasting it, trying to discover the recipe behind it and so on. Don't judge me please, everyone has some strange habits well this is mine. Plus I think that eating barbecue without proper sauce is a pure waste of time. I definitely fell in love with the vinegar bbq sauce since i've tried it at my cousin's. Just give it a try, you won't regret it.
                          Last edited by arthurmorgan; June 12, 2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                            EdF commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Likewise, though not at your cousin's! ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here