Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best bbq sauce to use as a glaze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best bbq sauce to use as a glaze

What do you guys recommend for glazing chicken or ribs? I'm looking for a sweet, shiny, syrupy, bright red, vinegery BBQ sauce to paint on my chicken at the end of the cook. The last batch I made didn't have the look or the sweetness I was after. I have attached some pics to show you what I mean. I want something a bit more glazy and a little less saucey if that makes sense.

Anyone got any great recipes that they recommend? Would the KC sauce be good for this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180126_160608.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	599093Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180126_160614.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	599092

Try Blues Hog Champions Blend.

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      +1001

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      YEP! or buy each of the 3 blues hog and mix them up to your liking!

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
    ...+1

Comment

Like Steve R. I am a fan of Blues Hog as a finishing sauce. Unfortunately, I don't have any recipes to share, as I am too lazy these days to make my own sauces (other than the Korean BBQ sauce with Gochujang). Kids used to like the "Australian Beer BBQ" sauce I made out of the BBQ Bible cook book, but it was extremely time consuming and expensive to make. Too much dicing of ginger root and other stuff, plus an hour over the stove cooking it.

Comment

Full disclosure: I've never tried this rib glaze, but it is on my "to-do" list.

I've heard really good things about Kosmo's Q rib glaze. I use his rubs and really love them. So, based on that, I'm going to try this in the very near future.

Comment

• Woodman5455
          Woodman5455 commented
          Editing a comment
          Kosmo’ rib glaze is the bomb. Love it.

• PaulstheRibList
          PaulstheRibList commented
          Editing a comment
          it is good! the cherry habenaro is good

Head Country Apple Habanero

Comment

Here is one I use on Ribs. It is not the traditional sauce but I like it.
        Balsamic Chipotle Fig Sauce
        1/4 cup fig jam
        1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
        1/8 cup red wine
        2 chipotle peppers from can
        3 tspn juice from chipotle can (mas a menos)
        1/2 tspn dried Rosemary
        2 tspn black pepper
        Combined and simmer for a while

Last edited by jecucolo; November 29, 2018, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, bookmarked!

Sweet baby rays, blue's Hog - either one competition or store shelf.

Comment

Or, add honey to any sauce you like, bring to a simmer, and game on. I use Maull's, which bills out as the 'first' commercial BBQ sauce.

and another +1 on Blues Hog Tennessee Red, but do add honey to sweeten and thicken to a glaze.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            The Blues Hog Championship blend seems to be a mix of their original and the red, which gives it that extra sweetness and stickiness you want in a glaze...

I rarely sauce or glaze anything but I have used a product called Swine Apple which is very good especially on ribs. But it's not going to give you the red color you're looking for.
          Porky’s Gourmet Foods and Lynchburg Merchandise Company, that originated in Lynchburg, Tennessee, have been in business since before the turn of the century. They are our Family Owned and operated Businesses that were founded on the principal of providing our family, friends and customers with the Best Gourmet Sauces, Seasonings & Rubs, Salsas Relishes, Jellies and other condiments made with only the Finest Ingredients available.

Comment

I love using original Head Country as a finishing sauce for both chicken and ribs. Sweet with a little spice to it.

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              That's good, too. Equal parts Head Country original and Blues Hog original is what I usually go with if I want a sweet, shiny glaze, but not too sweet.

I'm totally on the Blues Hog bandwagon. We really like Smokey Mountain. If using as a glaze for chicken pieces, we thin it with a little apple juice. Then we dip each individual piece in the 'glaze' the put it back on the smoker until the glaze sets.

Comment

• CandySueQ
              CandySueQ commented
              Editing a comment
              You are not alone on that wagon, T-bone!

• T-bone
              T-bone commented
              Editing a comment
              CandySueQ looks like we've got some mighty fine company on this very large bandwagon. =D

I had to go hunting for this photo! Tim Sheer, Shake & Bake BBQ, cooked the BBQ contest in Jonesboro but had to leave after brisket turn in. I happily agreed to accept his trophies (and there were multiple + GC!). It was my honor to represent Tim and since he owns Blues Hog that's why there's a Blues Hog Nation sticker in front of my face. Nice to kind of meet the AR Governor.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	jonesboroblueshog.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	601951

Comment

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              No fair covering up CSQ !!!!

Normally I don't sauce my ribs until served, but I did a couple of racks the other day. Used Huskee Original Shawsh. Took me longer than I thought to get the caramelization I wanted so I overcooked the meat a bit. The Shawsh is thin, and I think it works well by not hiding the surface.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Hope you liked it!

Originally posted by Steve R. View Post
            This or Meat Mitch are so awesome as a glaze.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here