Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you use your Blues Hog sauces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you use your Blues Hog sauces?

I used to make my own sauces but with 4 kiddos and busy life I have settled on Blues Hog Tennessee Red and Original as my go-to sauces for pretty much everything. They taste great on their own but also make for a great base if you want to experiment by adding your own ingredients. I guess that’s what makes them so popular - they are quite versatile sauces.

I generally use Tennessee Red on my pulled pork and I mix Tennessee Red and Original 1:1 for ribs.

I once added some luxardo cherry juice to my concoction when I did a cherry wood smoked pork ribs and it really complimented the pork well.

One thing I would like to try is mixing them with Meathead’s Steak Sauce to make a KC style sauce (of course his KC BBQ sauce is very good).

So, how do you like to use your Blues Hog sauces?

Straight up original. Love that stuff. I’m too busy to make my own.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      I hear you brother. I have a gallon of the Original in my fridge.

I’ve been using the Tennessee Red straight up with both pulled pork and pulled chuck. Also have been using it tossed with shredded cabbage to make a spicy vinegar slaw. I have 4 1 gallon jugs of Blues Hog of various types in the pantry, hoping it will last through the summer!

I’ve only used the original so far on ribs, but it was outstanding.

Comment

• ColonialDawg
      ColonialDawg commented
      Editing a comment
      I like your idea of making slaw with Tenn Red. I’m going to have to try that.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I used to do it using my own mixed up NC style vinegar BBQ sauce, using a recipe from Stephen Raichlen's BBQ Bible, but the Blues Hog Tennessee Red is already mixed up, and along the same style of sauce. Blues Hog is sweeter AND spicier though.

I like their honey mustard on meatloaf, pulled beef & pork, and mixing the Red and the honey mustard was great on pork too. I find the original, while it tastes great on a spoon, to be too sweet on meat by itself, so I think it works great mixed with red but I'd go more like 1:2 original:red myself. Red straight up is good too.

Comment

Never tried it, but I'm always up for a new sauce. Original is a sweet sauce and Tennessee Red is vinegar based?

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, Tennessee Red is Vinegar based but is also sweet with a good amount of heat.

I use original and championship blend (Original and TN Red mixed already), but my favorite is Smokey Mountain.

Comment

Anyway I can!!! I love that stuff. It is my favorite sauce. All three are great. The mustard sauce is great too.

Comment

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          $18 by the 1/2 gallon at Gateway Drum (they own Blues Hog!). Don't mess with the little jars.

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          The Kansas City BBQ Store has them for $16.99 per half gallon

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Well worth it! HouseHomey

I just cooked some baby back ribs yesterday over peach wood. Mixed Blues Hog Original and Tenn Red 1:1 and dumped in a small snack cup of peaches, blended and simmered on the stove for a few minutes. Worked really well with those peach wood-smoked ribs. Those sauces are so versatile.

Comment

Blues Hog Original is my "go to" for all my spare ribs. My son has severe gluten allergies, and Blues Hog is gluten free.

Comment

In the past:
            Ribs- original or championship
            PP - 50/50 mix of Original and Tennessee Red - basically championship
            Chicken - Tennessee Red

However with the last order from Big Poppa Smokers I got a small bottle of the Smokey Mountain to try and my wife really likes it.... soooooo…. I see that being a primary use in the future when using Blues Hog

Comment

I gotta say their original is absolutely awesome.

But I think the Tennessee Red is too sweet and lacking in that spicy vinegar taste. I have a half gallon in the fridge right now and once I got it down about a 1/3rd I refilled it with white vinegar and about a tablespoon of crushed red pepper. Hoping that amps it up a bit.

Comment

Based on the many loyalists here, I got two jars of original. It's sweet as all get out, which isn't a problem, except that like many pitmaster clubbers, I'm cutting the carbs. I could eat it with a spoon, or even use it as an ice cream topping, if I were doing that sort of thing. It'd be great on vanilla ice cream or maybe something like Cherry Garcia.

I'm tryin' ta get away from sweet sauces, but the BHO brings me back. I generally just brush it on ribs or pork chops, let it melt a bit, and then high heat to caramelize it. I think adding some sherry vinegar would be a good way to thin it out if that's how you wanted to go.

Comment

Tennessee Red I will add into my pit beans and it's made for pulled pork. Championship goes great on beef or pork ribs although I'm not a sauce guy I always serve it on the side. Most people in Minnesota seem to like sauce on ribs and I think the favorite by most folks around here prefer Sweet Baby Rays over anything else.

When I do catering for parties I will always put Tennessee Red and Championship sauce in generic squeeze bottles at the serving tables. Because they are in generic squeeze bottles most people think I make it. I must have had hundreds of people ask me for the recipes and rave over them. There are very few people who know I use Blues Hog it's one of those secrets I keep from the customers.

Comment

My bbq sauce is 1 part orig. Blues Hog and 1 part orig. Head Country.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                      Mr. Bones commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice! I'll haveta try that one!
                      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 22, 2018, 04:42 PM.

Regardless of which flavour, I use it neat!
                    Oh, don't git me wrong, I mix an match em up, some, but I never add a splash of water, or a cube or two of ice!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here