Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Western Carolina sauce request - Smoque BBQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Western Carolina sauce request - Smoque BBQ

Hi everyone!

I am originally from the NW Suburbs of Chicago and lived in the Irving Park neighborhood in Chicago for 8 years before moving to Sydney, NSW. My obsession with BBQ can be completely blamed on my undying love for Smoque BBQ, whenever I fly back to the states I make sure to stop by multiple times to enjoy the perfection that is their brisket among other delights. I also bring back ~12 or so bottles of their Memphis and Spicy Memphis BBQ Sauce to Sydney. Unfortunately Smoque BBQ does not sell their Western Carolina Sauce, this in lies my problem Does anyone have good knockoff or close recipe in the same style as Smoque BBQ's? I can get Lillies Q Carolina Sauce in Australia, its a good substitute but it doesnt satisfy my cravings.

Any thoughts or recipes to share to point me down the right direction of making my own knockoff? I'm looking for ballpark of vinegary and peppery goodness. thanks for any advice!

robbpf North or South Carolina?

Comment

Have you looked through the recipes here? https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-sauce-recipes

Comment

In terms of the Carolinas, I am not familiar with a named Western Carolina sauce. Broadly speaking, my knowledge includes many North Carolina sauces which have a vinegar base. Some Carolina sauces which may have mustard as a main ingredient. This can be further refined by local recipes down to which county of the Carolinas or anywhere for that matter, one lives in.

amazingribs as mentioned above, is a great source.

M.

Comment

robbpf try mixing these ingredients together and bringing them to a simmer. Up or lower the ketchup to your liking or the vinegar or the sugar or the pepper or the salt.

1 cup cider vinegar
    2/3 cup ketchup
    1 tablespoon brown sugar
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes

Comment

Always glad to find a redirect to reinforce my meager knowledge-missed the map robbpf had a redirect to. Thanks.... -got my sauce preference going at Wilburs BBQ in Goldsboro (mid 80s). Had the pleasure of being invited to a Pig Pickin (me, a northern accent) at my neighbors farm as well (vinegar based sauce made in the old gallon glass jugs).

M.

Comment

robbpf this one might be more like what you are looking for.

ü1 Cup ketchup (Hot type)
        ü1 Cup water (bottled plain if you have fluorinated/treated)
        ü1⁄4 Cup apple cider vinegar
        ü1 onion chopped fine
        ü3 cloves crushed garlic
        ü2 TBS brown sugar
        ü2 TBS molasses
        ü2 TBS dry mustard
        ü1 tsp cayenne

Comment

If you search for "Lexington" style BBQ sauces you may have additional luck, as that location is what made that western NC style famous.

Comment

Yeah, you're looking for something like this:
            Folks in the western part of North Carolina prefer a sauce like the Lexington Vinegar Sauce Recipe, that's slightly sweeter and tinted red with ketchup.

Lexington... North of Charlotte, West of Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

Comment

robbpf I don't know if you're still checking this thread, but I just came across it (I'm a new pitmaster sub).

I lived in the Irving Park neighborhood of Chicago for about 5 years, up until 2014. I went to Smoque all the time, and particularly liked their Memphis and Carolina sauces, too. I now live in Boston, so I emailed Barry Sorkin to ask for the recipes, and he very graciously sent me the ingredient lists. Here's what he sent for the Carolina sauce:

Carolina

Tomato Sauce
              Coca Cola
              Cider Vinegar
              A-1 Sauce
              Worcestershire sauce
              Yellow Mustard
              Fresh Lemon Juice
              Corn Oil
              Louisiana Hot Sauce
              Brown Sugar
              Salt
              Chili Powder
              Black Pepper
              Garlic Salt
              Dry Mustard

Hope that helps!

Comment

• Donw
                Donw commented
                Editing a comment
                Great info in your first post! While you have been around for a few months I still want to say welcome to the Pit.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here