Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghee. Who all makes their own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghee. Who all makes their own?

A good friend has convinced me to start making my own ghee. Since I'm getting older it has finally occurred to me I need to start taking better care of myself diet wise, and since ghee is so much more healthy than store bought butter and margarine, I thought why not. Just curious how many here make their own and have you noticed a difference in how you feel?

I buy organic ghee at the grocery store, but Ernest makes his own. He wrote about it here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...0082#post40082

Also, on the free side, Meathead has information about making ghee: https://amazingribs.com/technique-an...d-ghee-science

I use it in a lot of my frying and sauteing. Can't say I have noticed a difference, healthwise, but it sure is a good way to get a buttery flavor without burning the fat.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; June 14, 2019, 05:57 AM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've made it a couple of times, but it was long ago. A great oil, super flavor, easy to use.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the way popcorn tastes when popped in ghee.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks, RonB .

Kathryn

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
    I buy organic ghee at the grocery store, but Ernest makes his own. He wrote about it here: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...0082#post40082

Also, on the free side, Meathead has information about making ghee: https://amazingribs.com/technique-an...d-ghee-science

I use it in a lot of my cooking and sauteing. Can't say I have noticed a difference, healthwise, but it sure is a good way to get a buttery flavor without burning the fat.

Kathryn
    OOPS, I should have done a search. Thanks for the info.

Comment

No probs Bighorn Dave . I like Ernest's method because it's so easy. However, did not like using Kerrygold butter like he does for it. Too herby and grassy with a funky odor for my tastes.

I'm curious: what are the health benefits of using clarified butter?

Kathryn

Comment

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Ghee tastes awesome and makes you happy. Therefore, it is good for you.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment

Started making my own about 2 years ago. Here’s how I make it. https://youtu.be/GnDeLFrQy54

Comment

Originally posted by Bighorn Dave View Post
        Since I'm getting older it has finally occurred to me I need to start taking better care of myself diet wise, and since ghee is so much more healthy than store bought butter and margarine, I thought why not.
        You may want to check out this link (Ghee vs Butter) from Healthline.com. The main health benefit would be this: "Because ghee separates milk from fat, this butter substitute is lactose-free, making it better than butter if you have allergies or sensitivities to dairy products." Other than that, the health issues are very similar. It appears there are some advantages for ghee in actual cooking, but not so much for health except for lactose intolerant folks.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Matches my understanding. Also keeps longer.

I bought some ghee a while back, but seldom remember to use it, but I like it when I do remember...

Comment

A quick google search through registered dietition-sourced articles (as opposed to non-professionals) does not seem to turn up anything that says that ghee is better for us than butter. I'll still use it though, because of its higher smoke point when used for frying and sauteing.

Here's an article that says that ghee should be treated as any other saturated fat, and that it is not recommended for people with a dairy allergy: https://www.todaysdietitian.com/newa.../1016p10.shtml

Kathryn

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep - that's what I found as well. Better than straight butter for cooking.

I’ll make my own ghee, but I do it so I can get the buttery flavor at higher temperatures.

I’ll also use the ghee I make to confit garlic cloves. I’ll then use the cloves to mix in with mashed potatoes, spread on toasted hamburger rolls before putting the burger on, smear on toasted bagels instead of butter or cream cheese. I then use the garlic ghee on my Blackstone Griddle when searing thin pork chops, making stir fry or grilled cheese sandwiches.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
            mrteddyprincess commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not a health thing for me either. Just getting rid of the milk solids so they don't burn. I love using it to grill/sautee veggies. Also makes a great roux.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            So with garlic confit you don't have to worry about botulism as you do with garlic infused olive oils?

Kathryn

Well, I googled it and answered my own question from this Serious Eats article which states:
          The primary concern with garlic confit is botulism, and botulism is one food-borne illness you definitely don't want to mess with...unless you like the idea of muscular paralysis slowly setting in until you're unable to breathe, all while completely conscious.

Botulism refers to the deadly illness itself, which is caused by toxins that are created by the spores of a bacteria called Clostridium botulinum. The spores themselves don't present any danger—pick up a handful of soil and you've probably just picked some C. botulinum along with it.

Where the danger starts is in certain conditions: low-oxygen, low-acid, low-sugar environments, specifically. Garlic-in-oil checks all those boxes, which makes it a concern for botulism.

In truth, the much, much bigger concern is raw garlic that's been blended into oil, then left at room temperature; that's where
          past cases of garlic-linked botulism have tended to crop up.

But garlic confit isn't without some risk, too. Yes, the spores can be killed after enough time at a sufficiently high temperature, but to be totally safe, you're best off using a pressure canner, which is more trouble than I'm usually willing to go through with my own batches of garlic confit.

Chilling the confit quickly and storing it in the refrigerator is one big help: at temperatures under 38°F (3°C), the dangerous toxins form much more slowly, which buys you some time. Under no circumstances should you store the garlic confit at room temp.

All things considered, you should be able to keep your garlic confit for a week or two in the fridge with no trouble. Any longer than that and you're assuming some risk. It's arguably a small one, but one with potentially deadly consequences.

I think I'll make some garlic confit and freeze it. Should come in handy for things like ssandy_561 uses it for. Sounds delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

• ssandy_561
            ssandy_561 commented
            Editing a comment
            Confit might have been the wrong word. I am actually roasting the garlic in a ghee bath. I’ve never measured the temperature of the ghee but the garlic cloves get a beautiful golden brown. Then I remove the garlic from the ghee and store both of them in the refrigerator until I use them next. I’ll take pictures next time I make some and make a post with the pictures.

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Gosh that sounds tasty, ssandy_561 . I look forward to seeing the photos.

Kathryn

My wife makes ghee for frying. It seem to work really well for us, but I still use beef tallow for frying potatoes. Nothing gives them the same crispiness as tallow.

Comment

I make it in the oven so I don’t have to watch the temps and then filter it through cheese cloth as many recipes have suggested. Ghee has a higher smoke point than butter. I like using it when frying an egg or other foods when the butter may burn but I want the buttery taste. Health wise, my understanding beyond what’s already been mentioned is it’s much higher in saturated fat than veg oil so I use it sparingly since heart disease is a run away truck in my genetic line. 😀

Comment

Ghee was developed by those on the Indian sub-continent. I love there food. But in reality as snowswamp points out it really isn't very good for us. It does raise the smoke point of butter but if we were to use it everyday our cholesterol would suffer. If you do like it, use it for special items not your everyday frying. Use canola or one of the other vegetable fats for that.

Comment

Originally posted by mountainsmoker View Post
                Ghee was developed by those on the Indian sub-continent. I love there food. But in reality as snowswamp points out it really isn't very good for us. It does raise the smoke point of butter but if we were to use it everyday our cholesterol would suffer. If you do like it, use it for special items not your everyday frying. Use canola or one of the other vegetable fats for that.
                No intention of arguing your point but was surprised by your comments. Yep not that educated about ghee yet. Anyway I did a little snooping around and found another opinion on this regarding health benefits. Like most subjects varying opinions abound and what have we learned when asking for others opinions. Nothing except learning how many different opinions there are. Thanks for your input.

Is ghee really healthy?
                What's left is also known as clarified butter. Much like butter, ghee has gotten a bad reputation over the past 30 years due to its high saturated fat content. But research has revealed that instead of increasing the risk of heart disease, ghee actually decreases it — and that's not the only trick it has up its sleeve.Jul 20, 2018 Ghee | How To Make Ghee At Home and Delicious Health Benefits

Learn about the health benefits of ghee how to make your very own at home and how to incorporate it into your diet. 

Comment

• snowswamp
                  snowswamp commented
                  Editing a comment
                  A food that lowers heart disease, makes cute kids, helps digestion, and lose weight? Sounds a little too good. 😀 Make some ghee and I hope it turns out good. I have enjoyed it.

Take any study that this food is a super food or that food is harmful with a huge grain of salt. Nutritional studies are notoriously difficult to do. Since you can't wall someone off from life and only feed them a certain food for years until the health benefits or detriments are found, they can only be implied. Most studies are also based on self-reporting which add another layer of imprecision. If studies are bad, people's anecdotes are worse. I know a lot of people suffering from auto-immune diseases (lupus, MS, RA, Crohn's) who have had their hopes raised and dashed by reading about someone who believed they've cured their condition with diet and managed to amplify their stories through social media. Unfortunately, these conditions tend to have chronic phases with periods of remission. If the diet changes coincide with the remission periods people, rather naturally, believe the diet change was responsible. Mind, a diet changed may have helped in individual circumstances, but they can't be extrapolated. I guess what I'm saying is the difference between ghee and butter are probably so small that they can probably be ignored (unless you're lactose intolerant) and that, as in most everything, moderation is the watchword. Probably preaching to the choir on this because this is what the NiH has to say about smoked foods: "Smoking is a well-known source of food contaminated caused by carcinogenic polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. Epidemiological studies indicates a statistical correlation between the increased occurrence of cancer of the intestinal tract and the frequent intake of smoked foods." The risk is small and I think most of us are aware of it and don't eat it morning, noon, and night. So eat a little bit of everything, even the stuff someone tells you not to, and enjoy your life whether with ghee or butter because we don't have much time here and studies have shown worry is detrimental to your health.

Comment

• Bkhuna
                  Bkhuna commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Moderation in all things, including moderation.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here