Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another curiosity about to be satisfied...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another curiosity about to be satisfied...

I've been curious for awhile if higher end olive oils will make a large enough difference in taste to justify the extra cost. I'm soon going to find out. I just ordered some olive oils from Oliviers & Co. I order two flavor infused oils for salads, pasta and making board sauces. I ordered lemon and chili pepper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	72ci3r500_citron-500ml-v3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.7 KB ID:	475301

Click image for larger version

Name:	72pi3r250_piment.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	475392
    And some of their everyday cooking olive oil.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	the-classic.jpg Views:	1 Size:	215.2 KB ID:	475302

Might have wasted my money but my curiosity will be satisfied!
    Last edited by Frozen Smoke; March 31, 2018, 05:20 PM.

I like them! This looks really high quality.

Comment

I know nothing of olive oils, I just know whatever Jimmie Johns puts on their Italian sub is awesome x 10.

Comment

I read quite a bit about olive oil production and looked at everything the local grocery store had to offer the last week or so. The grocery had a lot of offerings from $4 to around $20. The more expensive were in fancy bottles and were "infused" meaning the bottle had sprigs of rosemary and other herbs. Real infusion, when it comes to oils is done when the oils and the flavor of other things are actually pressed together. There apparently is a lot of deception done in the food industry (not that we didn't already know that) but I guess it's really pervasive in the olive oil industry.
        So that all led me to choosing to use Oliviers & Co. I bought 3 oils some oil pourers and a spice mix for just over $100. But the oil from these folks is the real deal so I will know for sure if the extra expense is worth the end result.

Comment

Curious how this goes Frozen Smoke. How are you planning to test whether the "good stuff" is worth the extra expense?

Comment

Bumby the flavored oils will be used in salads, pastas and board sauces. I think I'm more interested in trying out the chili pepper oil as a base for a board sauce for steaks and the lemon as a board sauce for chicken or pork and fish. I think both flavors will do well in pasta's and salads or just on crostini.

The other olive oil is for cooking and just other everyday use. It supposedly has a higher smoke point so I will try using it on my flat top and in the kitchen for frying and sauteing. I'm expecting (hoping) I can detect a flavor and texture improvement over the cheap stuff I've been using.

Comment

Oh those look good! I love higher quality oils, but I have never tried these two. Gonna have to check them out!

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                Give it a go lonnie mac I'd be interested to hear your review two sets of taste buds are better than one!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Word up Lonnie! Haven't talked to you in while. How are things going down there, brother?

Would be easy to make two board sauces side by side and compare if only the oil is different, or something similar with cooks to!

Comment

• Frozen Smoke
                Frozen Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm thinking a nice tri tip on a chili pepper olive oil board sauce with some garlic and herbs and maybe a little squeeze of lime juice? A smoked pork tenderloin on a lemon oil board sauce with some herbs. The combinations are endless.

• smokenoob
                smokenoob commented
                Editing a comment
                yum!

• Skip
                Skip commented
                Editing a comment
                Frozen Smoke I would volunteer to be a taste tester for you. These oils sound delicious! Be sure to post some results. My Mom always said the most expensive food is what you throw away. I think you made a good choice.

There was some hoopla a while back about how lousy Ca. Oils were along with some others for the marked increase. The take away at the time was buystamped exported Italian as it seemed "closet" to what you were paying for.

I use this one. I enjoy it, especially on salads and bread. Who ever really knows? It's worth it for me unless a comparable product for less comes about.

I have no experience with your purchase.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1825.PNG Views:	1 Size:	402.6 KB ID:	475489
              Last edited by HouseHomey; March 31, 2018, 08:12 PM. Reason: new effort to correct my spelling.

Comment

I use high end oils for finishing, I keep regular and a garlic infused one. This right here will make anyone a believer.
                Attached Files

Comment

Good post HouseHomey so is this better than your grocery shelf stuff? Here is the page from Oliviers &Co. standards and requirements. https://www.oliviersandco.com/content/about/commitment

Comment

• HouseHomey
                    HouseHomey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes I think so. I love the peppery finishe (many don't like) and that leaned me that way. Great flavor!

UC Davis did some research on the subject and published an extensive document from that research. Here is a link to an intriguing article about olive oil fraud which contains a link to the UC Davis publication.
                  Do you know about the olive oil fraud? You may not be buying real olive oil! Learn which are the best olive oils on the market.

Last year my wife and celebrated her 60th at a small farm in Tuscany where they make wine and press their own olive oil. They were aware of the olive oil fraud because it cast a shadow over them as well. There was enough difference between their oil and much of what passes as good oil here that we bought two cases and had it shipped here.

what we have learned is that the best extra virgin olive oil is the freshest, so buy close to home. When our Italian oil runs out we will go back to California Olive Ranch or one of the Texas grown brands (which can be hard to find in small town areas).

Comment

Thanks for the link KenC52 interesting read. Two of the oils I have now are listed as ones that did not pass the test. The oils I purchased are not on the list of ones who did but they just may not have tested that particular brand. I'm confident that if tested they would pass. Nice to see this thread get some traction and all the great info coming out I find this a interesting subject.

Comment

This is a great discussion. I have never really looked into the quality of the oils that I use for cooking. I will have to look into this more. Thanks guys!

Comment

KenC52 dad, here his another article on what you linked. http://olivewellness.com/services/ Santa Sabina was one of the fraudulent brands, however Silvi Sabina is solid. You can order it here. https://www.oliveoilsitaly.com/produ...sabina-sapori/ I recommend you try it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here