Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give me a mess of greens and cornbread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Give me a mess of greens and cornbread

Found this today and now I have a plan for this weekend.

I have never had collard greens before........

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      You need to try them. Cooked for a long time with ham hocks. Also try them with cast iron skillet corn pone. Thats good eating.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      They are tasty you definitely need to give them a shot.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      One of my favorite dishes is ribs cooked in apple juice with collard greens. Talk about goooood....

I had them once as a side when we were on a trip. They were pretty good. This winter I've been looking for them and all I could find were canned Collard Greens at a WalMart. We haven't had them yet but anxious to try sometime soon. Spinaker have you seen any fresh Collard Greens in the Twin Cities stores?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am sure they are around, I just don't look for them. I would not even know where to start.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Produce section, of course!

They good!

I've started cooking them in the instant pot. Throw some bacon in there and fry it up. Add your greens, water, salt and pepper. 30 minutes later as you're pulling the meat off the grill your side dish is done.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh Yeah!

We would walk the cut wheat fields just before they were sprayed for bean planting and cut the wild greens. Mom would mix them with turnip, collard greens and spinach. Cook them with some chicken broth, garlic, onion and pork hocks or knuckles...yum!!! Crap....now I’m hungry again..!!

Comment

Collard, turnip, or mustard greens all work.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Pretty much every bitter green works!

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea that's a good point EdF for those who have never had these greens, they are on the bitter side and have to be parred with something sweet or savory or both. Also gotta cook 'em til tender.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And they're such a nice complement to Q!

I LOVE collards! I prepare them the way Attjack described. I add half a capful of Zatarain's liquid crab boil to the pot before cooking. Man that is some good eatin'!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here