Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changes are coming to 'expiration' dates, hopefully by summer 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changes are coming to 'expiration' dates, hopefully by summer 2018

According to Meatingplace.com we may be looking at only two labels:

"BEST If Used By" still safe to eat but overall quality and taste may be lacking

"USE By" used on a few products that are highly perishable, and need to be ditched at that "USE By" date

This is to cut down on the amount of product being thrown away with the current use of more than 10 labels including, "Sell By, Use By, Expires On, Best Before, Better if Used By or Best By, etc....."

Yeah I just saw that on the news. I think that's a good idea.

Comment

I like this!

Comment

Well it's about time! As long as briskets still give us a reasonably accurate "packed on" date, I'm good.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been assured the briskets out here make to to the stores probably within 3 days of packing so no problem with lack of dates for me. I have one that will make 40 days next Friday. Probably serve it the following weekend.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Jerod Broussard I have 3 Primes wet aged ~40 days now in my freezer. One will get smoked up next Sat 25th for some close friends. Gotta love it!

According to the current labeling, I should have cooked the brisket in my fridge about 4 weeks ago!!!

Looking forward to the change. And hopefully it will cut down on waste.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Spinaker.

Heard about this on NPR pre-work this mornin'.
        Long overdue, an' it will stop a lotta th' questions I git from people.
        Kinda tired o' tryin' t' explain that they're throwin' perfectly good food away.

Comment

There will still be labels in my house, though. The chocolate chips have a label that says "best if not cooked by" and a picture of my ugly mug next to the label. Go figure.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!!! ;-)))

I love buying chuck roasts on or near the "sell by" date for about half price. Into the freezer they go until I'm ready to use them.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            ^^^ Ditto fer all great cooker meats... Steve R. ^^^
            Ain't that what freezers are for, sez I???

• Steve R.
            Steve R. commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeppers!

I love it. My wife is convinced that anything in our refrigerator that has passed the "sell by" date is no good.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. I deal with folks like this alla th' time.

Great news! Thanks for posting!

Comment

To go off on a tangent just a bit, the estimates are that by the year 2050, we will need to produce over 50% more food to feed the world, a combination of population growth and increasing wealth (hence demand for "better" and more food) worldwide. A significant part of our current production is turned into garbage--sell by dates, cosmetic blemishes, just plain waste, etc. Currently, just about ALL arable land is under cultivation. In order to get more land, say "bye-bye" to forests, etc. I think many would be shocked to realize the seriously negative impact that agriculture--conventional AND organic--has on the environment. The image of Farmer John puffing on a corn cob pipe while the birds tweet and the deer frolic just ain't true. An acre of farmland is an acre that is denied to "lions, tigers, and bears", not to mention Monarch butterflies. It is NICE to see a better labeling system coming about. I hope it is effective and has a positive impact.

This message did not come from a rabid environmentalist. I like my food every bit as much as anyone.

Comment

The deli I do to has a scratch and dent produce section. When its time to make sauce, that's where I go - ukky bits can be ditched while the good bits make yummy sauce. Or candied jalapenos. Or banana bread.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                We must shop with th' same criteria, Atalanta! I kin always make summat good outta alla that "rejected food" that ain't purty enough, jus' takes imagination / innovation / creativity. I had some fabulous mentors!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here