Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uploading photo issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not that it matters but I cannot upload images from any browser or OS. (Chrome, Safari, Firefox- Windows, Mac OS, iOS or Linux ) Its been a few months now. I just went to third party host for them and life is good.

BTW I like the new look A-ron!
    Last edited by Jon Solberg; November 25, 2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      This ol' ugly mug? Thanks Jon

Chrome 39 on Windows:

Thumbnail
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wild-turkey_765_600x450.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	34657

Small

Views:	122
ID:	34658

Medium

Views:	119
ID:	34659

Large

Views:	120
ID:	34660

Fullsize Click image for larger version

Views:	55
ID:	34661

Comment

I agree with Jon, Direct upload works poorly on most of my forums That is why I have a web picture hosting program. It alleviates all these problems.

Comment

Folks we're working on it but having trouble replicating the issue. For whatever reason it's working fine for myself and Glenn, our vB developer. Keep giving us input and we'll keep working on it.

Comment

And if it's been a while you might want to read our thread on picture posting tips. Perhaps there's a small detail that you're doing a little differently than our recommended technique.

Comment

@Henrik and @The Burn, thanks for reporting the issue. We can't replicate it for some reason but know that we're investigating it. We'll keep you posted once we figure out and solve the issue.

Comment

I've recorded a video screencast on uploading a photo while debug console is open to check what's happening under the hood. I used a test account with the same Subscribed Member user group.

Free online storage and sharing with Screencast.com. 2 GB of storage and 2 GB of bandwidth per month for free. We won't compress, alter or take ownership of your content.

@Henrik, do you see something different on how you upload? If you can, can you also please do the same video screencast (using Jing or other screencast tool) and check the console? Thanks!

Comment

Two quick variables that are different in your test Glenn - you posted a .png file and your version of the board is different as the camera icon is available. Don't know that either make a difference, but thought I'd mention them.

Comment

Well spotted. I installed Jing and did some dry runs before recording. However now I get a javascript message box saying "Invalid file xyz.jpg" regardless of whether I upload jpg or png files, and regardless of which file I use. That is a new one...

Will try later today to see if I can upload anything, so I can capture the http traffic for you.

​

Comment

Originally posted by The Burn View Post
                    Two quick variables that are different in your test Glenn - you posted a .png file and your version of the board is different as the camera icon is available. Don't know that either make a difference, but thought I'd mention them.
                    Camera icon - this shouldn't be the problem. The camera icon was disabled because the "upload attachments" icon and advanced editor icons do a much better job of displaying pics.

Png - will defer to Glenn on this one but I don't think this is the issue either.

Here is what it looks like when you use the camera icon. Photos always display as these tiny icons and even when you click on them they only show up as a medium sized photo. That's why we disabled the camera icon. Our intent was to encourage the use of the "upload attachments" and "advanced editor" icons as they allow for a much better display of images within a post. That said, these icons are obviously having problems for a few users across all devices, and for all users when trying to post with a mobile device (vB 5.1.1 disables both icons on mobile devices). As result I turned the camera icon back on. It's not ideal but hopefully this will improve the forum experience for members affected by this issue while we work on a solution.

Comment

• The Burn
                      The Burn commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wasn't suggesting that that the camera icon was a better alternative (and, in fact, I used the upload attachments link until it stopped working for me), I just wanted to make sure that Glenn was testing with all the variables being the same. I know that sometimes the smallest, unrelated things can bug up some code. By the way, I'm not seeing the camera icon yet.

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      TB can you check the camera icon again? It should be working now.

Originally posted by Pit Boss View Post

Here is what it looks like when you use the camera icon. Photos always display as these tiny icons and even when you click on them they only show up as a medium sized photo.
                    I have developed an add-on to enlarge the photo slideshow. You may want to install it here in The Pit. Check it out at http://www.noypiscripter.com/vbulletin/photo-slideshow/.

Live demo at http://www.minutesmatterstudio.com/f...ces-faq/15132-

Comment

• David Parrish
                      David Parrish commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Glenn can you install this in the dev/test environment and we'll see how it works for us? I'm thinking this could be a good add-on for us.

Glenn, I have now managed to capture the screen when uploading. I used Firefox with the Web Console. Let me know if this is enough information, or if you want me to redo it with focus on some specific details. I posted the screencast here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...UploadTest.swf

and the photo I tried to upload here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...loin_roast.jpg

Comment

Thanks Henrik for providing the screencast. I downloaded your image and I really can't replicate the issue. I tried using this account which is an Administrator and even a regular test account with the same usergroup as yours and the uploaded images look fine.

Name:	sirloin_roast.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	36969

I noticed in your video that the thumbnail and fullsized images have the same file size of 1.14KB. When I uploaded mine, the thumbnail was 6.1KB and fullsize was 112.3KB.

The request content length of 298233 for you looks correct. Mine was 298158. So the the image is being uploaded fine in its actual file size. But for some reason, when vBulletin processes the image you upload, it resizes the image into tiny ones.

Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hi Glenn, thanks for testing. Yes, I got so far as you did also, in that the image is being shrunk either:
                        1. during the actual upload, or
                        2. when vBulletin is processing it, right before displaying it in the post.

Your test together with mine seems to indicate the latter is the culprit, as you correctly state.

Have you heard of this issue from other vBulletin forum users? Can I do some more tests to isolate the error even further?

Thanks /Henrik

@Henrik and @The Burn, can you try uploading again? I updated the additional usergroup in your account that was different than other users.

Comment

• Henrik
                        Henrik commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I logged out, then logged on again, but still no luck. Still thumbnails. I tried Chrome and Safari, just to be sure.

Test "upload attachment" from my computer

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	754 Bytes
ID:	36988 Large

Name:	IMG_1028.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	754 Bytes
ID:	36989 fullsize - 1.6m file/2448 × 3264

This same photo uploaded from photobucket using the image upload:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here