Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waldorf Slaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waldorf Slaw

So going down the rabbit hole while reading about Cornell Chicken, I clicked on Waldorf Slaw and got a pop up saying I had to be member to read the recipe. Clicked the login link and it brought me to the main Post Topics page. Searched Waldorf Slaw and the result was:

Click image for larger version

Name:	287C9416-CC84-4ABE-8D88-039FB8088DD2.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1051719

May be somewhat related but I was prompted to log in this morning as well to read a post. Haven't had this occur in sometime now, especially on my phone (Android). Just assumed it was a server reset. Anyone else have to log back in today??

Comment

Well Sheila Ann, just sayin, ya have ta have the special code to git the Waldorf Slaw. There are other recipes where ya need the hand signal too.

Comment

Ingredients

Dressing
        • â–¢ â…“ cup white sugar
        • â–¢ ¾ cup natural rice wine vinegar (unseasoned)
        • â–¢ ¼ cup vegetable or corn oil
        • â–¢ 1 teaspoon celery seed
        • â–¢ 1 teaspoon Morton coarse kosher salt
        • â–¢ 1 teaspoon freshly crushed black pepper

Slaw
        • â–¢ 1 crunchy apple
        • â–¢ 1 large green jalapeno
        • â–¢ 1 pound green cabbage (about half a head)
        • â–¢ 3 large carrots, peeled
        • â–¢ 6 scallions
        • â–¢ 1 medium red bell pepper
        • â–¢ ½ cup celery, chopped small (about 2 medium stalks with leaves removed)
        • â–¢ ¾ cup walnuts (in a pinch you can substitute pecans)
        • â–¢ ½ cup dried cranberries or raisins

About the vinegar. Rice wine vinegar is very mild. It is not hard to find. Most groceries carry it. Some are seasoned and some are not. Get the unseasoned if possible, but the seasoned will do. If you must use distilled white vinegar, use less, about 1/2 cup.

Method
        • Prep. First, read my article on The Science of Slawsome Slaw.
        • Whisk together all the dressing ingredients.
        • Core and chop the apple into chunks about 1/4 inch. Leave the skin on. Add it to the dressing immediately and mix to keep it from browning.
        • Slice the jalapeño in half and remove the seeds. If you wish, you can also remove the white ribs, where most of the heat hides. Slice into thin slivers and then chop into tiny bits so nobody gets a big chunk of heat. Add to the dressing. Wash your hands thoroughly after handling hot peppers or better still, wear gloves or use a paper towel when doing the cutting. If you do not wear gloves, be sure not to rub your eyes, or touch any other moist parts of your body, or any one else's.
        • Chop or shred the cabbage and add to the bowl.
        • Cut the carrots into small matchsticks. Alternatively you can shred them with a food processor or a box grater.
        • Finely chop the scallions. Remove the stem, core, and seeds from the bell pepper and chop into small pieces.
        • Add the carrot, scallion, bell pepper, and celery to the bowl. Toss thoroughly. Taste and adjust the salt, pepper, vinegar, and anything else you wish to suit your taste.
        • Chill. Refrigerate for at least one hour to extract the flavors from the celery seeds and vegetables and to allow them to marry. More than an hour is better. Once the slaw has chilled, warm the walnuts in a dry frying pan over a medium heat for five minutes, until the nuts starts to brown slightly. This brings the oils to the surface. Add them and the cranberries to the salad and blend well.
        • Serve. Serve immediately while the walnuts are still crunchy. Sing "Take me back to Manhattan."

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaAnn View Post
          So going down the rabbit hole while reading about Cornell Chicken, I clicked on Waldorf Slaw and got a pop up saying I had to be member to read the recipe. Clicked the login link and it brought me to the main Post Topics page. Searched Waldorf Slaw and the result was:
          Hi SheilaAnn

The recipe is on the main site: https://amazingribs.com

Classic Waldorf Salad Re-imagined As A Flavorful Slaw
          https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...f-slaw-recipe/

This is site is the Pitmaster Club site: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com

Once you are a member and logged in here, you get full access to the main site (and no adverts).

Comment

I forgot to mention. You can search the main site from here. You just need to click the Options button.

Name:	search-options.png
Views:	269
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1051849

Comment

raywjohnson thanks for the instructions, however, things are still acting weird. I clicked on the first link you gave and searched for Waldorf Slaw. This came up:

Name:	4DC3BE53-AD6A-4FA6-AFAF-F9B7B9493AC7.jpeg
Views:	288
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	1051872

When I searched again, only this current thread showed up.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                Also, when i try to close that pop up window, it takes me back to where I was searching.

Please note that this is all happening on my iPad. I have not checked the regular laptop. I do not use AR on my iphone….

• raywjohnson
                raywjohnson commented
                Editing a comment
                Sorry about that! That is a bug that I caused. Only members that renewed the first week of June were effected. The renewal date failed to update. I fixed your account. Once you view this page (or any page on Pitmaster), the cookie info will update. Please check the page again.

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                raywjohnson Checked the lappy and logged out and back in on the iPad. I’m back in business! Know that it was not the end of the world, just noticed strange behavior. Glad we got it worked out and thanks for being on top of it. 🙌🏼

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here