Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your sources outside of this site for BBQ or cooking in general?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballistic BBQ is a great video series and source for recipes, not nearly at detailed as AR but excellent. often uses either kettle or PBC so it fits to my particular arsenal (just with a quick mod for the SnS, of course!)

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Already on my list, and yes he is good.

• pittkappasig
      pittkappasig commented
      Editing a comment
      whaddya know... i read the damn article twice to avoid reposting... FAIL. well either way, it speaks to his BBQ knowledge!

• smarkley
      smarkley commented
      Editing a comment
      I like him too... especially the burger series... and that 'flat top' for his kettle is awesome!

I know it's been stated several times but I love America's Test Kitchen. I have the full subscription so I have access to ATK, Cook's Illustrated, and Cook's Country. With the subscription you have access to thousands of recipes and videos. I record their shows on PBS. In addition, you can watch the majority of the Cook's Country and ATK shows on Amazon Prime for free.

Their shows, recipes, and cookbooks do a great job explaining why their recipes and techniques are certain ways. The shows got me into cooking a few years ago by explaining the science and technique. They explain that they tried recipes all different ways before actually deciding on a certain method. They will also include DO's and DONT's in their recipes much like this website.

Having a scientific approach to cooking and then being able to explain it to someone else really fascinates me, which to me as an engineer, is why this website and ATK are so wonderful.

Comment

Pizza - pizzamaking.com

Comment

You guys should check out T-Roy Cooks on You Tube. he's out of Austin, TX. He does a lot of different BBQ cooks on his Yoder and WSM. As well as a lot of indoor baking and what not. He puts on a good show. Seems like a really good dude as well. And he does a great job answering your questions or comments. I've yet to have him not reply.
        Last edited by Spinaker; July 17, 2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I've watched him, I like him. Haven't seen a lot of his stuff but he is fun to watch.

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Subscribed, need to make some of that jerky.

Awesome thread!

I subscribe to CI and ATK on-line. Goto CI and do a search for "Mahogany Chicken Thighs". You can drink the sauce!

Here is a very helpful site for general knowledge and substitutions.

FoodSubs is a cooking encyclopedia with ingredient substitutions, ingredient synonyms, descriptions, photos, and nutritional information for thousands of ingredients.

--Ed

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
          Interested to see where else you get your information. I prefer video's so I can see what people are doing, so here are some of mine.

BBQ and smoking related:

Malcom Reed - Smoking, BBQ, lots of sides, good quick video's with recipe's and techniques. I have tried most of these and all are great.
          Malcom Reed has a video that convinced me that I could turn a kettle into a serious cooker. Bought it soon after bookmarking his site. Then I subscribed to AmazingRibs!

--Ed

Comment

I'm saving myself for when Ernest starts his Youtube channel.

Comment

Jon Solberg that would be a disaster. A cooking channel with no recipes, no ingredient amounts? I'd be destroyed by the comments section LOL!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                I think just looking at the pictures would be more than worth it....

I would agree with the comments re America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country. The processes in the CI "Grilling & Barbeque" cookbook for pulled pork is how I got my real start in the BBQ world. I liked things a lot better though back in the day when a print subscription got you access to the website as well.

Once I started to understand a little more about real BBQ, I basically relied on two sites, AmazingRibs and The BBQ Brethren, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php, especially the Q-talk forum. Lot's of good info there and PitmasterT's Butt Glitter is a really good rub for ribs.
              Last edited by IrondeQuer; July 18, 2015, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Soooo ugh... I went to look at BBQ Pit Boys

because some of you recommended.... I saw them ruin a steak and their hand waving made me crazy like backwoods Betty Crocker or something???, plus the narrator saying "it's gonna be GOOooood" in some kind of fake biker backwoods accent... *shakin my head*
                Last edited by smarkley; July 20, 2015, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by smarkley View Post
                  Soooo ugh... I went to look at BBQ Pit Boys

because some of you recommended.... I saw them ruin a steak and their hand waving made me crazy like backwoods Betty Crocker or something???, plus the narrator saying "it's gonna be GOOooood" in some kind of fake biker backwoods accent... *shakin my head*
                  smarkley Lol, I thought similar things. I wasn't a fan of their ribs technique, spraying them and wrapping them with a bunch of liquid. Sure that will make tasty ribs and to each their own, just not my cup of tea. But the thing is, you can always learn from everyone. From some you can learn what to do, others what not to do.

Comment

I like the bbqpitboys.com and smoking-meat.com and the wife likes dishinwithdi.com

Comment

• oldsteve
                      oldsteve commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I make the BBQ PitBoy's Potato Bombs quite a bit. I make a couple of changes to get the potato skin more to my liking. My only question after watching several videos of theirs; does the knife they're always using ever get taken in the house and cleaned?

Absolutely right Huskee ... sorry everyone for dissing a good source of info.

Comment

Just wondering if there is any members or moderators that has won any BBQ competition championship titles using the info they have gather here at AR....just asking

Comment

For BBQ I'm a big fan of both Adam Perry Lang and Francis Mallmann. I find that Lang is way over on the "Make everything as crazy stupid complicated as possible" end of the spectrum and Mallmann is at the absolute opposite end of that scale. They both have a lot of info on building, tending, and working a fire which I have found to be really helpful in how I think about BBQ.

Lang's recipes involve building lots and lots of layers of flavor which pays off big time if you have perseverance and patience to go through the long processes involved- I'm talking brining, marinating, rubbing, mopping, wrapping, and saucing. Mallmann is all about enjoying the flavors already present in the best quality ingredients you can get and he's also allllll about the Maillard reaction and tending the fire and the cooking surface to get the most Malliard on everything that he grills. There's also a recipe in one of his cookbooks for how to roast an entire cow over a bonfire which is just about the coolest thing in the history of ever.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here