Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your sources outside of this site for BBQ or cooking in general?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are your sources outside of this site for BBQ or cooking in general?

Interested to see where else you get your information. I prefer video's so I can see what people are doing, so here are some of mine.

BBQ and smoking related:

Malcom Reed - Smoking, BBQ, lots of sides, good quick video's with recipe's and techniques. I have tried most of these and all are great.

BBQ Pit Boys - Mostly BBQ, not a lot of smoking. Focuses more on technique than the recipe.

BBQ with Franklin - Aaron Franklin's channel, lot's of easy to follow tutorials covering the basics of smoking. Very laid back and easy to follow, highly recommended for those just getting started.

Ballistic BBQ - Several product and recipe reviews, lot's of technique, measure twice type of guy so the recipe is easy to follow if not the technique. Currently on a tear duplicating popular restaurant burger recipe's.

General Cooking:

Food Wishes - My first stop when looking for a recipe. Lot's of recipe's and techniques that are easy to follow. I don't think the guy has ever had a bad day.

America's Test Kitchen - Ton's of recipe's and techniques, easy to follow. Many product reviews as well.

Happy Wok - My go-to source for Chinese recipe's and technique. I don't think he ever talks, just shows you how to do it and subtitles with what he is using, how much of each item etc. I think I may even like this way better, I can just pause at a certain spot instead of trying to find what someone said.

Stella Culinary - Learn how to cook like a chef.

Serious Eats - A little bit of everything from recipe's to technique and science.

Recipe Sites:

Damn Delicious - Courtesy of jholmgren
    Last edited by _John_; July 17, 2015, 10:07 AM.

I've found a couple of good Asian-inspired recipes here lately:

Comment

I LOVE Stella Culinary. Great video's, recipes, techniques and forums. Breadhead will agree with me I am sure. I was in the restaurant business for 35 years and when I did cook (I was in management) I was holding the knife wrong. Surprised I have all of my digits Going to start on a bread / pizza dough journey soon

Comment

• _John_
        _John_ commented
        Editing a comment
        I added Stella, do you think I should put them in a section for training or something, or leave them under general?

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        @John

StellaCulinary.com is an indoor version of AmazingRibs.com. They both teach the science and technique of cooking. They both have outstanding recipes with extremely detailed instructions on how to execute them. They both offer online answers to your questions and a member chat community so you can get help from other members.

AR is more mature as a website and dominate in their market segment. Stella is an up and comer.

I personally think because I frequent both sites and I'm constantly thinking how I can use Stella's stuff outdoors and/or how can I use Meathead's stuff indoors, I improve my game both indoors and outdoors.
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 16, 2015, 02:04 PM.

I really don't look at any other BBQ sites... not close-minded, it just seems that this site is more than enough for me. LOL

BUT... there are a couple of other sites that I use frequently for other types of food LOL...

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com -- this guy has tons of great stuff on video and has been at it for years -- Breadhead will cringe, but Chef John has a great no knead pizza dough that is killer... and easy for us who just want a no fuss dough.

http://www.homesicktexan.com/ -- lots of great southern, texas, and tex-mex recipes
      Last edited by smarkley; July 16, 2015, 08:12 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        @smarkley

No cringe here. Chef John is my favorite online Chef. He is a genius and his video's are simple and easy to follow. I access his recipes on my go to website for recipes... Allrecipes.com.

I go to StellaCulinary.com to learn cooking technique and Chef Jacob is my bread mentor. He helped develop the Brioche hamburger buns for Meathead.

I go to ChefSteps.com for recipes and techniques.

I go to Cooks Illustrated for really good recipes and techniques.

I go to AmericanTestKitchen.com for recipes and ideas.

I go to TheFreshLoaf.com to share information about bread.

I have the 6 volume set of the "Modernist Cuisine" by Nathan Myhrvold. Which is the greatest cook book ever written. It's a cookbook only a multi billionaire could afford to write.

I stay busy learning about food.
        Last edited by Breadhead; July 16, 2015, 01:50 PM.

I like the food magazines but been pretty busy on amazing ribs haha👍 also plenty of trial and error

Comment

"Cook's Illustrated" - unfortunately it's not a website, it's a periodical that one must subscribe to. It is published 6 times per year and is well produced.

Comment

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          You can access Cook's Illustrated online http://www.cooksillustrated.com, but you have to pay an annual subscription fee in addition to the magazine. The subscription does give you access to America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country too though.

I love AR and spend most of my available time here - but Stella is great as well and i also like http://www.smoking-meat.com/ . Jeff's rub and BBQ sauce is really good. He charges for his rub and sauce recipes but that's how he keeps his website going ... fair enough... BBQ Pit Boys are awesome as well...also http://www.seriouseats.com/ is quite good - i like their 2 minute hollandaise sauce - so easy...

Comment

• barney
          barney commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey Steve Vojtek , I also like smoking-meat.com . Those guys/gals are cool. I also bought Jeff's recipes & love his rub on chicken. They know their stuff when building a smoker also.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          I also love Jeff's rub on chicken .. I also like receiving his new recipes in my e-mail - nice touch..

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree about Smoking Meat. His recipe/newsletter is pretty good too and comes direct to my inbox.

I enjoy America's Test Kitchen, of the same family as Cook's Illustrated and Cook's Country. They recommend many of the same general principles as AR, but differ in some.

Comment

I'm not good at following recipes but those cooks illustrated folks know a thing or 2 about cooking. Chef John from Foodwishes is a culinary God amongst men.

Kenji at Serious Eats is another great one.

And when I want a foodie laugh I just fire up youtube.

Comment

I feel like I am cheating on a spouse if I look at another Q site!

Killer Korean Site: http://www.maangchi.com/

Good general ideas here: food52.com

Healthy eating: http://mikaelareuben.com/

Comment

Ernest mentioned Kenji as Serious Eats, but I frequently access the site for many other recipes/explanations by some of the other cooks. seriouseats.com

Comment

Loved the Happy Wok video I watched on making fried rice--great lesson in wok techniques! Thanks for the link.

Don't forget some of the Food Network stuff; the TV programming may have gone south but some of the stuff from Emeril (great hush puppy and beef stock recipes) and Alton Brown is awfully good. Martha Stewart (NO LAUGHING!!!) has recipes that are very well tested. My wife has a "Free Martha" apron. LOL! Also Ina Garten has some nice recipes, including a killer whiskey sour for which I will post the recipe for one day.

I use a couple of the Frugal Gourmet's books--"Cooking American" and "Immigrant Ancestors" for basic things. David Rosengarten wrote a book called "It's All American Food" that is also very handy, although out of print. I got my copy for $2 at a junk store near Huntsville, AL. I love the book.

More later.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Vojtek View Post
                  I love AR and spend most of my available time here - but Stella is great as well and i also like http://www.smoking-meat.com/ . Jeff's rub and BBQ sauce is really good. He charges for his rub and sauce recipes but that's how he keeps his website going ... fair enough... BBQ Pit Boys are awesome as well...also http://www.seriouseats.com/ is quite good - i like their 2 minute hollandaise sauce - so easy...
                  I also frequent smoking-meat.com & I bought the recipe for Jeff's rub. Great stuff!

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
                    Steve Vojtek commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes it is kenrobin . He spent a lot of time perfecting it. Meathead's Memphis dust is also awesome.. I have not tried Huskee's rub yet but i hear it is also great...

I enjoy many of those already listed. But really, a lot of times I google what I want to make, and 1) either pick the recipe that I already have the ingredients for, or 2) get the best ideas from multiple recipes and wing it.

Anything too complicated, I skip. If I were younger I'd probably be more adventurous about it, but since I'm still working and time can be tight, I stick to basic stuff, and try to make it as good as it can be.

Comment

I totally forgot Serious Eats, those guys are great.

Comment

• smarkley
                      smarkley commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, me too... they should be in my list

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here