Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Salsa

Here is a salsa recipe I got from a Hispanic lady I worked with. It is her grandmother's recipe.
    Ingredients:
    1 medium red onion
    2 small jalapeño peppers
    4 cloves garlic
    2 medium limes
    1 (15-ounce) can diced tomato
    1 large tomato
    2 cans Rotel's mild
    2 teaspoons cilantro
    salt
    Directions:

Wrap large tomato in a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 1 minute. Peel skin and then add tomato to blender.
    Wrap jalapenos in a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Cut open and remove seeds. Dice and add to blender.
    Wrap limes in a wet paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Roll to release juices and then cut in half. Squeeze juice in blender.
    Dice onion and garlic and add to blender. (Or use one tablespoon of jar garlic).
    Add cilantro and 1 can of diced tomatoes (with juice) to blender.
    Blend mix until smooth. You want a thick consistency without chunks. If you blend too much, the tomatoes release too much liquid. Approximately 20 seconds on liquefy. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.

Add 2 cans of Rotel's Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (Mild) to the blender. Use 1 can mild and 1 can hot for hotter salsa. Just use 2 cans hot for very hot salsa.
    Blend until same consistency as first blend. Mix with first blend in a large bowl. Refrigerate at least one hour.

Stir before serving (some pulp will rise to the top). Salt to taste (I usually don't add any due to salt on chips) and serve.

Last edited by jlazar; August 15, 2021, 11:01 PM.

You really start to feel old when you read recipes from someones grandma that contain the words microwave and food processor.

Comment

• jlazar
      jlazar commented
      Editing a comment
      +1.

I love homemade salsa! Thanks for the recipe. Cheers

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Thanks for the share!

Comment

Sounds delish!

Comment

Bless ya' both, fer sharin' her Grandma's receipt.
            Also, admire that somebody else knows how to steam things in a microwave oven, utilizin' wet paper towels; been doin' it for long many decades...
            Why didn't I never offer up this info, previous, like?
            Nobody never asked...

Comment

• jlazar
              jlazar commented
              Editing a comment
              I learned it from the recipe. Works great.

Thanks for the recipe I think I'll put the veggies on the smoker instead of in the microwave. Smoked salsa I've never tried it but sounds good. Let y'all know how it tate.

Comment

• ssandy_561
              ssandy_561 commented
              Editing a comment
              Be gentle with the smoke on the veggies. A little goes a long way.

Nice may have to give it a try. Thank you.
            Although it is faster to twist open a jar.

Comment

If you blend too much, the tomatoes release too much liquid.

Comment

I'm gonna add this to the list...

Comment

Homemade screaming roasted salsa.
                  I’ve finally learned how to make fresh fire roasted salsa. You’ve got to have your grill screaming hot, at least 450 degrees with slightly open flame. Roast tomatoes that are 100% soft juicy ripe. The extra juice in the tomato provides a better flavorful roast. DO NOT skin your tomatoes before roasting. The skin helps hold in the HOT tomato (inside purée) juicy roast. Some of the roast skin (your liking) goes in your salsa. Black roasted tomato skin is to what your black brisket bark results, the two are kin to each other. Allow your pepper stems to crisp, you can add a little of that to your salsa. The picture of my roasted jalapeño needed to stay on the grill at least another 3 minutes.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Ghawtho; July 28, 2023, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Fresh garden SOFT RIPE tomatoes work best. You might even leave the tomatoes outside for additional three or four days to get RED JUICY RIPE AND SOFT. Those roast much better.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here