Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with grilled cauliflower steaks please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with grilled cauliflower steaks please

Hey folks,

Having my wife's her faculty and their families over for a BBQ this coming weekend. A couple of the are vegetarian. I do not believe they are vegan and I do believe they eat cheese.

Along with several smoked meats from the stick burner, I am grilling vegetables on my Weber as a side dish. I was considering grilling some Cauliflower Steaks too. I have never tried this. We do enjoy roasted cauliflower. I wonder if anyone here has tried this and if so, what your results were.

Please share any experiences, tips or recipes you have related to grilled cauliflower steaks.

Thank you in advance!

JD

I've done this a couple of times and it was great.

Last edited by Attjack; August 18, 2022, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I did them once, but it was a couple years ago. They did come out great, though! Careful with the oil, it can drip onto the coals and create soot.

Comment

I haven’t, but a chef once told me to wet brine the cauliflower for 12 hours.

Comment

I have roasted a whole head a couple of time, grilled the steaks which is a little challenging, and the easiest is with a perforated grill pan roasted the florets. The last would be my recommendation if you have the grill pan.

Comment

We do them a lot. Very easy and pretty darn good. Just rub with some olive oil, then add your favorite bbq rub like you would for ribs. Put on the smoker/grill and cook until the stem is tender.
            We cut them at least 1" thick too, otherwise they won't hold their shape and are hard to move. Cook them on a movable rack or cooling rack or even a frog mat, just something easy to move from cooker to table.

Comment

This doesn’t address your question directly but puréed cauliflower is delicious too. Has a consistency like mashed potatoes and can be substituted for them in most dishes.

Comment

I’ve done it and liked it. Slice them thicker than you think you should. Learned that lesson! Interesting thought to brine prior to hitting the grill.

Comment

Nothing to add on the Cauliflower; HOWEVER,

Zucchini sliced length wise about 1/4 " thick, light coat of oil and dust with garlic salt, paprika or a favorite BBQ Rub...on the grill
                  Also big portabella mushroom caps are great alternatives for our vegan friends....

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                    I'm going to do this, but as large flowerets instead of steaks. Keeping steaks together looks tricky. Plus I'm feeding 16. 16 steaks would be hard a field of cauliflower heads.
                    As far as seasoning, I'm going to stick w/ barbecue flavor profile, in other words, I'll use Worcestrschire sauce as binder and use barbecue rub as seasoning. I may lightly glaze with thinned sauce.
                    Best regards!
                    JD

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Worchestershire sauce has fish in it, and would not be vegetarian.

Let us know how it turns out for you, jjdbike .

Kathryn

Comment

jjdbike -- Just remember Worchestershire sauce (or however it's spelled) has anchovies which may not be vegetarian friendly. Maybe just stick with olive oil and a BBQ rub?
                      Last edited by IowaGirl; August 20, 2022, 07:35 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                        jfmorris commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yep - I just commented above on that. Hope he got the message!

• jjdbike
                        jjdbike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Oh wow, great catch here.
                        Thanks for that!
                        JD

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here