Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I reformatted this Matar Paneer recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I reformatted this Matar Paneer recipe

Click image for larger version  Name:	CUZW57tuWmMofbk-ZhVzOLRosOBOXA2k-vn_CwfBIAbJwHEpH1dpsmgBE3ckusln4x-5Js0RlDpwZ1z0D2scMSaTTGwyvUQ06SIBIzF2XZxCuihO6WFQZh5jCPnZQuzEjAuOKgY4JNcgduBSWdHU6XCSaPQZi8dFXmV1W9hDYToMmBG1RQmODGOeL7dTUQRuiMe47_Zc-4SybcwSSQds4vrUGx0lYJacvKsq4pWjcc7gMrtN--ujSAGG84X50pR Views:	53 Size:	518.9 KB ID:	1179744

I'll post the original format in the second post. I reformatted it to be mise-en-place friendly and because I don't like having to go back and forth looking at the ingredient list and the directions. I'll also post the reformatted directions without pictures for clarity in a third post.

Notice I've already combined certain ingredients to make the workflow quick and easy as I cook.

Click image for larger version  Name:	w9dO4JKJE9Y4FUAjMrX9Gs-R5dhRRQPniHMBC5vQNp1mEud3EiOkhEdyNH0oLGs7TYzuCWqabTLr5Sn5uPUg9i7fwhbWtRyHdStpaxuL-8mhqVyIS562nQzF_TIXhgXoc_GEggXV-QljOfmNBBmAVPuYyCEPKRSzKq6XMsp1CtE9eFHRF83GrFJbqpvY42NB8CZC7gOLFtmRrK9IdsZGQgWmWMlHLaB1iceGdXoULD0kpUj8GADs4oqQfdAHrZP Views:	53 Size:	553.6 KB ID:	1179745

Matar Paneer

- 1/4 cup ghee
    - 4 cardamon pods
    - 2 T coriander seeds

In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1/4 cup of the ghee. Add the cardamom and coriander and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until they have lightly browned.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IbaWGlK8HeC0mUTOwnezPw036hBQPVKyv7wOT5jPptTmPPV7GkaHmrfxn57hO4otxW7ihwJxyAAbWRh7WTr544xDIDsUC1JT71M5u6C_ESKNEYsyuLDS4WCopSU2qTx7qv4MxSmCr0PlJJss3apBkkHqJDGx7C8HfUzUovMC5oEgynyG6-t0-vf9jUbYVkqzRVMzfNLWL2QpgeZhAxz0MFzWR4adX7uvhmbqc3606zYG7RIuz1IiY1rTlk23qW6 Views:	53 Size:	641.7 KB ID:	1179746

- 1 small yellow onion rough chopped
    - 1 T ginger rough chopped
    - serrano chile halved and stem removed

Stir in the onion, ginger, and chile and cook until the onion is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	-0HwiMrAxvxiCJaHjX_WGDlfwdasYP2X-69opIPZzYChR4J9X3exr7FVBQgP8IRUtXDtBKgla33b3k4iwChgd8RWBm_hWR-1EJnfPa1Geq-ZU-kNuIeUnWavizfMNQMDjVY5x8fWAgmhz0xy9qmBwLfgRE-Eik8FGMqpSOb_62vRFmHx8s9TWjPAOKoT9lppPt-thR4gBrn6ZvpxPHottiJl_azIstxSXKwDO3vS3dHsktgDWbp_7WgvrpmeG8n Views:	53 Size:	488.1 KB ID:	1179747

- 7 Roma tomatoes rough chopped

Increase the heat to high, add the tomatoes, and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are wilted, 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Click image for larger version  Name:	z5kYHwMwRavvpYfJHtsakg_O5M00DCssAmb64O9G3KXJodS-jgbuSa_cAapvbRaylmU_ZooBcSGI8sU09atpUdODbFcvJvqfdcuKVMz4lxQU5INs6CEYYhECGTbs4GRHArB4bH0Sd1pgQopNLUKVlwqjviHuXjMSmth4nQGP5ktVFbfXLg2voOJMk2v0sXvNrsrbwFdtURQGvi1e2Bx9P6Wc5jwMpUHCstS0jzyTjOeOhjdM9GfK12zA8WXHM4j Views:	53 Size:	274.2 KB ID:	1179748

Transfer the cooled tomato mixture to a blender and blend into a chunky sauce-it should resemble baby food. If the mixture isn't blending well, add a few drops of water to get it going. Set the sauce aside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	GU1ic2onMVp8qUzTCatmgnNr-XyRefhdySfdqm-QooP17q3zpToDJUouiKwPm-G_AQu3rFbc8y2apgJWmqt4aGmIPaSrqD2QHN1Te7b_uGwTgvbzmpAkMGaqj4Z-hvyN1W6UCxH3Jok0RHLGivtf06YOROpiElo8C_kI7Q1VOUwJcliF_ceMYal8v9bUbetFqn45ZYiKmsBZzwHnRWrcrSMDv-k8xH96FCVmDqCtSXpPVbnMBe2u6sM_BxB0SyX Views:	53 Size:	199.1 KB ID:	1179749

- 2 T gee
    - 1 t Cumin seed

In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons ghee. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they turn a medium shade of brown, about 1-minute max.

Click image for larger version  Name:	aKE_p2SbXRKhFS6B--2Iz3LI5ASy_DbdnU-4ixjgSjqlRK4dsCw1cIwraVPUtzcZQCz8I28Pa6uA6PhYUzgTuc7whCChCCihSsC9c1V-473DVjKpwB6DPpCcHYTU18vEFGv05PBA4AfXo9XR6URthMFym6uv1FBLWOhHxf32-OWxlZFPz2K2fMSMjgUem8vIxkchnNrTc_2rGrAo89p-DqboTY3N3tuWsVJ9oje2ocyD98CY-VVxzqZ_a5WCT6k Views:	53 Size:	577.1 KB ID:	1179750

- 2 bay leaves
    - 1/2 t turmeric
    - 1/4 t asafetida

Reduce the heat to low and add the bay leaves, turmeric, and asafetida (if using).

Click image for larger version  Name:	mVuT-GBJZNmZhq9wBxz_vBymhLgscfreEjkTEpBcBbc9zdRLvKrVhj85AAQGqp9frrkUAE9nOengBECdtJWrwV9UpFtQzZ2uGrn7dKiaCF7glGvlqAGWSrnIhrboOUOeIkkUNkLFnXta8tjV55uAVyfgSJ8YeI5q5jNq00a3n1fPvEdH7xAR90TjdetuRO7vaAQFCClTsM-Ub2HesW2CoRBStp4c9yjOxkKJ-B6IVJaoKP3d781XCQllOON7QmK Views:	52 Size:	725.6 KB ID:	1179751

- 1/2 t kosher salt

Pour the sauce into the pan, add the salt, and mix well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rpKd02jQYagWHwYgb0ouaarHHF1IMBeqK-hQrpZYBtQ5ej1ZkaBR6tlDPUw1qyAAu2nXH_aHOz2JShN5QzwY-Zl2DcsMNtIBdTSFQiLNP05YgwobnXivn23kUwvMVmwE4Ic8JLQ1ZR5jMG1O31nry6TiHyh8ngZn0yCiDhA39sAT2pRpqStP0bfhxYUk94jtVNXAEN3esmqF15MgQzv7mAVgAgPlCrYVtiTbZ9MCXqruzZuFOE_BkzUF-u_fh0O Views:	53 Size:	464.1 KB ID:	1179752

- 1 cup peas
    - 8 ounces paneer cut into 1" cubes

Add the paneer, peas, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the peas are warmed through and have nicely comingled with the paneer and sauce. Taste and adjust the salt, if needed. NOTE: The original recipe called for a cup of water that I like to omitt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9CntxVvUwj2XO6NEqJHfJG5YYX_0JszR8G5C-LAdFbH4oCP03IZ9xtuQdH36LYspmgrk5bUAqAL8Vu0LKEKpAjbkPGVGBGr9uR7YPSVy1toxzLXeRnNsipEylFzzTnSix-LeyKZIT_tXL7lnptZ0rhpxGFt4yIuZJKI9aZO1wW6PWftyk3u2cYuG8yNvuN8Xw-jOfwuIX7TjnN7b79AIs2Slv-OnbPMj03tFHJpQNCl6QJ8wBNSETGU1mqPf3l_ Views:	53 Size:	541.7 KB ID:	1179753

- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Garnish with cilantro.

Click image for larger version  Name:	edYZLDK0geo7riehim9RRGHMRCpXd1titlui0NUGvlqNC5gBD-0ugL5Y5hdnNjVKD9uwHtlXpt6jR2NLZkMh2iYQWtyMyD79Liv2l4Oxlpp8SNdRMkia8G6MGBR23ZLzolx-4ieoNvTaomxYjGulLXdw6L1aCQ3FUVcZKNqe9RDRZxcV3F-NVgUqNJol1UKSlhQ7bhPfus3-AbMZjVh5tIRojk7m0X9GgtD78DIclcy1mYDEHKjKhHMm98Vjeff Views:	54 Size:	460.9 KB ID:	1179754
    Last edited by Attjack; February 24, 2022, 09:48 PM.

Original:

Credit Priya Krishna Indian-Ish: Recipes and Antics from a Modern American Family

Click image for larger version

Name:	1328482472.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	1179757

Matar Paneer

1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil, divided
    4 green cardamom pods, or 1 teaspoon ground cardamom (freshly ground is best)
    2 tablespoons coriander seeds
    1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
    1 tablespoon roughly chopped fresh ginger
    1 small Indian green chile or serrano chile, halved lengthwise and stem removed
    7 medium Roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
    1 teaspoon cumin seeds
    2 bay leaves
    1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1/4 teaspoon asafetida (optional, but really great)
    11/2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more if needed
    8 ounces paneer, cut into -inch cubes (1 cup; see Tip)
    1 cup fresh or frozen shelled sweet peas
    1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (stems and leaves), for garnish

1. In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1/4 cup of the ghee. Add the cardamom and coriander and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until they have lightly browned. Stir in the onion, ginger, and chile and cook until the onion is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the tomatoes, and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are wilted, 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

2. Transfer the cooled tomato mixture to a blender and blend into a chunky sauce-it should resemble baby food. If the mixture isn't blending well, add a few drops of water to get it going. Set the sauce aside.

3. In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons ghee. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they turn a medium shade of brown, about 1-minute max. Reduce the heat to low and add the bay leaves, turmeric, and asafetida (if using). Pour the sauce into the pan, add the salt, and mix well. Add the paneer, peas, and 1 cup water, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the peas are warmed through and have nicely comingled with the paneer and sauce. Taste and adjust the salt, if needed. Garnish with the cilantro.
    Last edited by Attjack; February 24, 2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Text only mise-en-place directions:

Matar Paneer

- 1/4 cup ghee
      - 4 cardamon pods
      - 2 T coriander seeds

In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 1/4 cup of the ghee. Add the cardamom and coriander and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute until they have lightly browned.

- 1 small yellow onion rough chopped
      - 1 T ginger rough chopped
      - serrano chile halved and stem removed

Stir in the onion, ginger, and chile and cook until the onion is translucent, 5 to 6 minutes.

- 7 Roma tomatoes rough chopped

Increase the heat to high, add the tomatoes, and cook, stirring, until the tomatoes are wilted, 5 to 6 minutes more. Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

Transfer the cooled tomato mixture to a blender and blend into a chunky sauce-it should resemble baby food. If the mixture isn't blending well, add a few drops of water to get it going. Set the sauce aside.

- 2 T gee
      - 1 t Cumin seed

In the same pan over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons ghee. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they turn a medium shade of brown, about 1-minute max.

- 2 by leaves
      - 1/2 t turmeric
      - 1/4 t asafetida

Reduce the heat to low and add the bay leaves, turmeric, and asafetida (if using).

- 1/2 t kosher salt

Pour the sauce into the pan, add the salt, and mix well.

- 1 cup peas
      - 8 ounces paneer cut into 1" cubes

Add the paneer, peas, and 1 cup water, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, or until the peas are warmed through and have nicely comingled with the paneer and sauce. Taste and adjust the salt, if needed.

- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Garnish with the cilantro.

Comment

That looks great! I assume you could sub in chicken for the paneer if you wanted a non-vegetarian dish?

I'm always looking for authentic SEA recipes, so I'll be adding this one to the list. A website that I have bookmarked is https://www.indianhealthyrecipes.com/ for when I want real authentic Indian recipes, but they take a good amount of time to make.
        Last edited by PBCDad; February 24, 2022, 01:39 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, you could sub chicken but I think the paneer is a better match with the flavors. Just make sure the chicken gets cooked. Raw chicken at 10 minutes on low would not work. But you could also have a protein on the side. I would probably do that instead since this dish is really good as is.

Indian cooking is a lot of work which is why I reformatted the recipe. Recipes are much easier to follow this way.

Thanks for doing this. Looks great!

Comment

Paneer is a cheese; glad it is not Tofu.
          I will have to file this on to be tried list.

Comment

I just finished making a large wheel of homemade paneer. Used half of it for a big batch of palak paneer. Maybe I'll use the rest in this recipe. Thanks for the writeup, Attjack !

Some chicken or shrimp marinated in an Indian-spiced marinade and grilled would be a nice additional protein to add to the plate.

These two recipes come to mind:
            Grilled Shrimp: https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/gr...-pepper-shrimp . If the BA site charges you for recipes, here is the same recipe on a free site: https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/gr...r-shrimp-26351

Chicken Tikka Kebabs: http://oreosandcoolwhip.blogspot.com...ebabs.html?m=1

Kathryn
            Last edited by fzxdoc; February 25, 2022, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              That's cool that you make your own paneer. I have not done that yet but I would like to because paneer is tasty. It has a good amount of protein in it too. Thanks for the recipes. Unfortunately, I can't access the Bon Appetite one because they now charge for their recipes (I'm out of my allotted free ones). It's extra irritating because I subscribe to their magazine.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I didn't know that about Bon Appetit. So far I can still get in, Attjack . Try this Epicurious link instead: https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...-pepper-shrimp

And here's the same grilled-garlic-and-black-pepper shrimp recipe on a free site: https://www.recipezazz.com/recipe/gr...r-shrimp-26351

K.
              Last edited by fzxdoc; February 25, 2022, 09:49 AM.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Thanks, I was able to get it into Paprika but just afterwards it locked me out. Bon Appetit and Epicurious have both moved to a pay for recipe model. In fact they teamed up and if you pay you get access to both.
              Last edited by Attjack; February 25, 2022, 09:44 AM.

Great job, @Attjack

Your formatting is similar to the classic "Joy of Cooking," which I like.

Here's a link to a video of Priya Krishna doing the recipe:

Matar Paneer Recipe | Real Simple
            Last edited by gcdmd; February 25, 2022, 05:37 AM.

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              I've seen that video before and think it's funny that it's not quite like she does it in the book.

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Attjack
              I watched Paul Prudhomme make his Chicken and Sausage Gumbo in a video once, and he commented that he rarely follows a recipe exactly, even if it's his own recipe.

Not much about Indian cooking for me, but must admit you had me at ghee. Perhaps it’s time for a new series??

Comment

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              What?

Excellent write up! Thank you!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here