Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Romaine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Romaine

This was something I tried on a whim, and it's become a regular feature of my grilling/smoking, especially when we have company:

Smoked Romaine Lettuce

Ingredients:

1 head of Romaine (serves 2-4 people as part of a chopped salad)

Directions:
    1. Cut the lettuce head in half length-wise, making sure to keep the central rib intact. Don't trim the bottom of the stalk. If you disconnect one of the long outer leaves, just keep it and lay it on top of the head when smoking
    2. Wash and drain the lettuce gently but thoroughly
    3. Heat your smoker to a low temperature. I use 180* F on my Smokin' Bros. pellet grill, but have done this as high as *225 when smoking other things at the same time
    4. Place the the lettuce directly on the grates, cut side down. Let smoke for 45 minutes
    5. Remove to a tray and let cool (or serve still warm for a warm salad). Trim bottom of stalk if it's woody before cutting up for a salad or serving as a wedge. Some of the leaf tips may be overly crisp and can be removed if desired, but the main body of the lettuce should still be crunchy.
    I like this in a chopped salad with a Southern-style buttermilk dressing. It pairs well with strong flavors including feta cheese. I haven't tried it with either blue cheese or bacon, but I imagine it would work very well with either or both. The world is your oyster.
    Last edited by Remsleep; August 12, 2021, 12:21 PM.

Thanks!

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the Pit!

Wow, that sounds good. i love me some big leafy greens. I will have to give this a try.

Welcome to the Pitmaster Club. Let us know if you have any questions!

Comment

I've done it, its really good.

Comment

Welcome from Chicagoland.

Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit and thanks!

Comment

I like to grill it too.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

This sounds fun....I love grilled romaine. Halve or quarter the romaine (depending on size), keeping root end together. oil and grill cut side down over hot charcoal until browned. While hot brush with Caesar dressing of choice. When I have black garlic, I make a Caesar with that...looks very cool. then top with parmesan toasted breadcrumbs (instead of croutons)

Always gets rave reviews, you have the hot/cold lettuce and all the flavors of Caesar touched by the grill

Comment

Sounds really cool! I will definitely do it today/tomorrow along with my sparigus. Got pick a meat fer my first cook.

Comment

Have had grilled romaine before and it's great ... looking forward to trying it low smoked (thanks for posting). You mentioned you have cooked them at both 180 F. and 225 F. ... guessing at 225 F. it would be a shorter cook than the 45 minutes you noted? If so, how much cook time do you think would that knock off?

Comment

remsleep has a pretty impressive high quality post ratio.

rob

Comment

• HawkerXP
                        HawkerXP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        going for the monthly prize I'm thinking.....

I do this frequently bot also smoke shrimp and tomatoes at the same time and top with balsamic for a meal

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here