Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Cauliflower with curry and sumak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Cauliflower with curry and sumak

Here's a favorite of mine. I have fine-tuned the recipe, but it's simple. Here goes:

Ingredients
    1 head cauliflower
    2 tsp curry powder
    2 tsp Sumac
    1 tbsp peanut oil (or other neutral oil that can take high heat)

Dip sauce
    1 cup greek natural yoghurt (get the high fat one)
    1 tbsp honey
    2 tbsp chopped chives for decoration

Cut the green leaves off of the cauliflower. Apply a thin layer of oil all over the cauliflower head. Now sprinkle an even layer of curry and then sumak.

The oil will help the rub stick, but also adhere smoke flavor.

Sumac adds a really fresh lemony, tarty, tang to the curry.

Oil an rub applied

Click image for larger version  Name:	cauliflower_curry_sumak_rub.jpg Views:	0 Size:	582.9 KB ID:	1051106

Fire up your offset smoker, have it running at 175°C / 350° F. Yes, we want to use it as a hot air oven (which it is). Smoke the cauliflower for 1 hour. Check it for tenderness after 45 mins.

Mix the yoghurt with the honey in a bowl. Use it as a dipping sauce. The warm, smokey, curry/sumak hot cauliflower goes exceptionally well with that cool sweet yoghurt. It's a winner y'all!

Here's a snack for ya

Click image for larger version  Name:	cauliflower_curry_sumak.jpg Views:	0 Size:	305.0 KB ID:	1051105

Make sure you have a few cold beers with this one.

Alrighty, Hank is out!!
    Last edited by Henrik; June 26, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Henrik, you posted good.
    Veggies on my Traeger, to learn I need.

Comment

My wife makes some kick-butt cauliflower dishes. It really is a wonderful medium for other flavors while being quite good for the body at the same time. Thanks for giving us another option, I want to try this!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Now i'm curious, how does she cook/smoke it?

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Street cauliflower, similar to street corn. Are you familiar? If not I can share a recipe. Henrik

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Huskee. Not familiar, if you care to share a recipe that would help greatly. Thanks!

Thanks so much for this! I just got some sumac for the Persian cooking I plan to experiment with. This one is bookmarked.

Comment

Have tried smoking cauliflower twice after seeing one of your previous cauliflower posts. I failed on both occasions. I will persevere and try again. Yours looks so good and I enjoy cauli.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          This one was easy, and the flavor is great. Do give it another try-

Wurt?

Comment

I often struggle with side dishes as my attention is captivated by the main dish, but this is so straightforward and simple that I have to try it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here