Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stews, Soups & Chili’s – The Series – Troutman’s Tequila Lime Chicken Chili

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stews, Soups & Chili’s – The Series – Troutman’s Tequila Lime Chicken Chili

If you’ve followed my cooking at all, you know I’ve done a fair number of differing chili recipes. Chili is a winter time staple down here in Texas because it satisfies on so many levels. It combines a number of ingredients that define what Tex-Mex cooking is all about. It’s also versatile and can be adjusted to your tastes and liking.

Unlike the simpler, straight forward chili con carne, this type of stew has been morphed into a variety of types from the use of various cuts of chicken to substituting beer for the tequila. A number of recipes call for the use of chili powder and other seasoning in place of using real chilies. Unfortunately that robs the earthier and greater depth of flavor fresh peppers have over the powdered seasoned versions.

So for the Troutman version, I went all out in developing and using my usual combination of roasted chilies as well as homemade chicken stock as my primary wet ingredient. This recipe takes a bit of time to prepare and assemble, but the cook itself is pretty easy. In many ways I think this recipe is as good as my regular Texas Chili due to this combination of ingredients. It is spicy if you follow the recipe, so judge the amounts and adjust to make the heat level suit you and your family.

Enough said, let’s go ahead and make some Tequila Lime Chicken Chili;

Click image for larger version  Name:	chili 04.jpg Views:	50 Size:	131.1 KB ID:	1164696

Tequila Lime Chicken Chili

Course. Lunch or Dinner. Main Dish.
    Cuisine. Tex-Mex
    Makes. 5 to 6 servings
    Takes. 60 minutes prep and 2-1/2 hours cooking

Ingredients

3-pounds chopped chicken thighs (breast meat may be substituted)
    2-large, fresh poblano peppers
    2-large, fresh Anaheim or Hatch chilies
    2-jalapeno or serrano peppers
    2-canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce plus 2 tsp of the adobo sauce itself

1-large white onion chopped (reserve a portion for garnish)
    4-5-garlic cloves finely chopped

2-cups chicken stock
    1-cup Tequila
    1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice

1-15 ounce can roasted, chopped tomatoes
    4-tablespoons of tomato paste
    1/2 cup fresh chopped cilantro (reserve a portion for garnish)
    1/2 cup fresh chopped green onions (reserve a portion for garnish)

1-tablespoon dried basil
    1-tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
    1-tablespoon ancho chili power

2-tablespoons Tony Chacheres seasoning (or equivalent salt & pepper)
    3-4 bay leaves
    2-tablespoons sugar
    Vegetable oil for sauté

For Garnish:
    Reserved chopped white onions
    Reserved chopped green onions (optional)
    Reserved chopped cilantro
    Lime wedges

Click image for larger version  Name:	chili 02.jpg Views:	52 Size:	147.2 KB ID:	1164694

Directions

Take the boneless, skinless chicken thighs and chop into small, bite sized pieces. If sourced with skin on, remove and discard. Season with 1 or 2 teaspoons of Tony C’s, mix well and refrigerate.

Take the (6) fresh peppers, place them on a cookie sheet, lightly cover in oil and into an oven under a broiler. Optional would be to roast them on a small grate on your cook top. Char all sides, place into a paper bag and seal allowing the chilies to steam for about 15 minutes. Once done steaming, remove all the charred skin, stems and de-seed. Rough chop the steamed pepper bodies and place them along with the chipotle peppers and adobe sauce into a blender and blend to a chunky consistency. Set the pepper sauce aside.

In a large cast iron pot add some oil and sweat down the onions until they are caramelized (3-4 minutes). In the last minute, add the garlic and continue to cook until the garlic is fragrant (1-2 minutes). Season with Tony C’s.

Next add the cumin, coriander and the pepper sauce. When combined, add the chicken and cook until the chicken turns opaque (6-8 minutes). Stir in the chicken stock, tequila, chopped tomatoes, tomato paste, lime juice and remaining seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. In the last 30 minutes’ stir in the cilantro and green onions.

Serve

In bowls, garnishing with chopped onions and cilantro. Serve with crusty bread or crackers, wedges of lime and ice cold beer!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	chili 01.jpg Views:	51 Size:	147.0 KB ID:	1164695

I'm sure not hating on this version of chili, in fact I kind of prefer it !!! Give it a try for a change and be pleasantly surprised at how delicious it can be !! Until next time, old Trout is Out !!!
    Last edited by Troutman; January 25, 2022, 09:49 AM.

This sounds delicious.

Comment

Another winner Steve.

Comment

That looks so good on this cold rainy night. For once you posted and caught me with an empty pantry - I don't have hardly any of the ingredients on hand or I'd whip this up right now.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          A Dinty Moore night it is.....

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I used to buy Dinty Moore back in college. Always remember opening the can and the first inch of product was pure congealed fat. Yummmy

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here