Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeno Chips for the grill or oven.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeno Chips for the grill or oven.

Mr. John’s Jalapeno Chips
    Headnote
    I’ve been making my Jalapeno Chips for more than a decade. As a Char-Griller Ambassador, they asked for original recipes. I submitted my Jalapeno Chips and they published it. Here is the link.
    https://www.chargriller.com/blogs/recipes/mr-john-s-jalapeno-chips

Makes or Serves
    The more you make the more it serves. The more you eat the less servings for others. Recipe could serve 4 adults.
    Takes (how long)
    Prep time about 10 minutes. Cooking about 30 minutes.

Serve with
    Cold beer and hot / mild jalapeno Chips are nice. Goes good with many different main courses.

Special tools
    A perforated grilling pan for cooking on the grill. Baking sheet for oven.

Ingredients
    12 or more Jalapeno Peppers
    Salt
    Favorite shredded cheese. I like extra sharp cheddar.

Method
    Be careful when cleaning jalapeno peppers as it is really easy to get capsaicin in your eyes.
    The hot hand cool hand method is a great way to avoid this but you may want to wear rubber latex gloves.
    The capsaicin oil is in the white part near the stem. Rupturing it (cutting it) releases the oil which spreads to the seeds and internal walls of your pepper. For this reason, clean one pepper at a time.

1. Designate which hand will be the ‘hot’ hand and which one the ‘cool’ hand. Using your dominant hand for the ‘hot hand’ is our prefered method.
    2. Take a pepper and cut it lengthwise. Hold half of it in your cool hand and use a spoon (hot hand) to scrape the white part and any ribs out of the pepper. Add to a bowl or sink. Clean other half of the pepper.
    3. Repeat this process till you are done processing all your peppers.
    4. Then rinse all of the peppers in a colander and shake dry.
    5. Have your grill, griddle, or stove set to 350 deg F.
    6. Place the peppers in your vegetable pan/ baking sheet with no overlapping or on the griddle cut side up.
    7. Sprinkle with salt.
    8. Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
    9. Cook for about 30 minutes. Pull and set aside to cool.
    10. When cool enough to eat you will have "Jalapeno chips" that are not hot or not very hot more of a mild heat.
    11. Enjoy
    Attached Files

Yummo!!!

Reckon I'll be after tryin me some these, many thanks fer sharin, Brother!

Comment

Looks good. If I end up making these, chances are I'll skip the rinse and leave a few seeds in there for good measure.

Comment

Wow, those look quick, delicious, and easy. Sort of a lazy man's jalapeno popper. We have a bumper crop of peppers this year and I bet this recipe would be great using poblanos, or just about any thick skinned pepper.

Thanks for the share!! And congrats on getting published as well, a little validation never hurts anyone.
        Last edited by CaptainMike; October 11, 2021, 03:53 PM.

Comment

It's interesting that the published recipe details the same steps but the picture shows them cut into rounds. That was what I had envisioned before reading your recipe.

Comment

• jab688
            jab688 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yea the picture is from Char-Griller not me. I was like hu?

Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Going on my BBQ bucket list.
            Besides 30 minutes at 350, are the jalapeno halves crispy?
            I bet they will pair nicely with PBR.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              So, why not: Leave us roast, or smoke th pepper half to a desired level of doneness, where it becomes a bit crispythen proceed, as above...???

• jab688
              jab688 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mr. Bones it's going to be one dried out pepper if you want to cook till it's crispy and dry then add cheese. Go for it.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              jab688 ". . . a bit crispythen proceed . . . "
              jab688 " . . . if you want to cook till it's crispy and dry . . . "
              But most importantly is bbqLuv ". . . . pair nicely with PBR" either way.
              Last edited by bbqLuv; October 12, 2021, 07:50 AM.

Wow, these were great!! Our first killing frost will be in the morning so we stripped the garden and now have peppers up the wazoo (and if one is not careful, some of those peppers will wreak havoc on one's aforementioned wazoo!).

Collette was making a poblano casserole so I decided to whip up a small batch of these. I fried up a little bacon, crumbled it on top, alternated cheddar and Jack and added a dash of smoked cayenne powder per each then plopped them on the smoker running 350 with a couple of apple chunks. Fantastic!! Way easier and faster than ABT's or regular old poppers and they have a really nice crispiness to them. This recipe is a total keeper, and if you're firing up the grill anyway then why not. Great appetizer or side dish.

Thanks again for adding this to my arsenal!!
            Last edited by CaptainMike; October 11, 2021, 11:07 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              Your review is all I need. I have a bunch still growing.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Hail to th Wazoo Peppers, my personal favourites

Yers sounds Dee-Lishuss, Cap'n...
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; October 12, 2021, 12:12 AM.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Wazoo Peppers -- newly named pepper has been born here on Amazing Ribs!
              Thanks to you two.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here