Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Brisket Boudin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Brisket Boudin

I made this the other day and it has gotten rave reviews; and I live in SE Texas. i.e. - lots of Cajuns and a huge Cajun influence in local cuisine. Ya gotta make something really good to get a thumbs up from these people.

So, what is Boudin? Or is it Boudain? Depends on where you live. Cajuns spell it Boudin, Texans and others spell it Boudain. It is generally pronounced "Boo Dan" by most people but the Cajuns leave the "n" silent (but keep the "a" short): so the authentic Cajun pronunciation is "Boo Dah" (with a French accent of course). According to the sources I've seen the origin of the word is unclear.

Boudin is a sausage style that goes way back in history, especially in Europe; "Boudin" usually meant sausage, blood sausage, or entrails depending on time period and place and was made from blood and/or entrails. It was peasant food. Many variants exist including Boudin noir (with blood), Boudin vert (green in color, made with pork, cabbage, and kale), and others. Now, Boudin migrated to America and is associated with Louisiana, especially the Acadiana region. Here it is a variant of Boudin Blanc: a highly seasoned pork and rice mixture stuffed in a casing or left in bulk as dressing. Variants include: Crawfish Boudin, Shrimp Boudin, Duck Boudin, and Alligator Boudin. Bourgeois Meat Market in Thibodeaux makes "Red" Boudin (Boudin Rouge - with blood) as well as regular Boudin - pork, pork skin, and pork liver ( Impressive video about them: "Boiling 600 lbs of pig parts" https://youtu.be/54OQ-xBVG4I ).

The amount of rice varies from maker to maker and region to region. In Texas, Boudain (note the Texas spelling ) tends to be rice heavy. A lot of Louisiana Boudin that I've had contained quite a bit less. Most makers grind the meat but many authentic versions use shredded or pulled meat. For this recipe I used less rice and I cubed the smoked brisket. Any shredding occurred during the boiling or mixing phases.

I've seen a few people make brisket Boudin: Chud's BBQ and Bill Dumas - the Texas Sausage Sensei - to name two. It is yet another way (along with chili or chopped beef sandwiches) to use less than stellar brisket but using a good brisket would be even better.

So, on to the recipe!

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket_boudin3.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.22 MB ID:	1252197

Smoked Brisket Boudin

Recipe created from numerous sources on the web, youtube, and a few discussions with people I know locally.

Makes: 15 lbs +/-

Takes about 30-45 minutes to prep (lots of veggie dicing), 1.5 hours to cook, 1-2 hours to stuff into casings.

Special tools: large stock pot,sausage stuffer; meat mixer and grinder are optional.

T = Tablespoons
    t = teaspoons
    C = cups

Ingredients:

For the cook:

10 lbs smoked brisket, cubed into 1" cubes. I smoked the brisket over oak with S&P as the only seasoning.
    1 1/4 lbs chicken livers
    1 lbs pork livers
    2 bottles of beer (I used Yuengling)
    4 yellow onions, diced
    4-5 shallots, diced (I used two really big ones, most at the local store are small but the Asian market had huge ones)
    2 bunches green onions, sliced
    3 bell peppers, diced
    1 poblano pepper, diced
    3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
    5 stalks of celery, diced
    1 bunch of Italian parsley, chopped fairly fine
    oil for sauteing

Mix the next 6 ingredients together in a bowl (the seasoning mix):

1 1/2 t white pepper
    3 T regular table salt
    2 T black pepper
    6 T cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 T Mexican oregano, rub with hands to break up
    1 t thyme

1+ T minced garlic
    4-5 bay leaves

For final seasoning/stuffing:

6 C uncooked rice (I used Jasmine rice)
    6 C Boudin Love (see below)
    3-5 C water as needed
    5 t table salt
    1 T black pepper
    1 1/2 t white pepper
    1 1/2 t cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 t granulated onion
    1 1/2 t granulated garlic
    1 T Mexican oregano, rubbed between hands as above
    3 bunches of green onions, thin sliced
    1 bunch of Italian parsley, chopped
    sausage casings

Method:

Puree the liver in a food processor and set aside. Add 2/3 of the seasoning mix to the cubed brisket and toss to coat (does not need to be even). Add just a small amount of oil (I used bacon grease, about 1 1/2 T) to a stock pot. Add onions (green, shallot, and yellow), peppers (bell, jalapeno, and poblano), and celery to the stock pot. Saute over medium until onions start to get translucent. Add 1/3 of the seasoning mix and stir in. Saute another few minutes and add parsley and garlic. After another couple of minutes add the pureed liver. Stir and let cook about 5 minutes. Add seasoned cubed brisket, two beers, and enough water to come up to just the top of the meat but not fully submerge. Add the bay leaves. Bring to light boil, lower to a simmer, and cover. Simmer for about 90 minutes, stirring periodically.

Drain the liquid off (but save and set aside). Remove bay leaves. I put them into the drained liquid - henceforth called Boudin Love*.

Now, let the meat mixture cool until you can handle it without getting burned. At this point you can grind this mixture if you wish, I didn't. This will be stuffed warm.

Add rice and 6 cups Boudin Love to a pot and bring to low boil. Once the liquid Love is absorbed, add 2 cups water. Cook until absorbed, taste. You want al dente rice, maybe a tiny bit of crunch at the core (one problem I've had with Boudin in the past is the rice getting mushy as the Boudin sits and when smoking). Continue adding 1-2 cups water until rice is al dente - I used 3 1/2 additional cups.

Place the drained cooled meat mixture into a meat mixer or large bowl/food service pan. Add rice, seasoning mix, green onions, and parsley. Mix until everything is distributed evenly. If you think the mixture is too dry add a little Boudin Love. I didn't have to: the meat mixture retained a lot of moisture. Stuff into casings and make links - whatever length you desire. If you've never stuffed a warm sausage you will think this is a weird experience. Cook (see below) or freeze for later use.

Aaahhh-eee!

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket_boudin1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	1252198

Bring smoker/grill to 275o and cook over indirect heat until the casing has a good snap. Serve as-is or with crackers or with toasted French bread slices.

Click image for larger version  Name:	brisket_boudin2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	4.68 MB ID:	1252199

*Freeze any leftover Boudin Love to use later in beans or other dishes.
    Last edited by 58limited; July 11, 2022, 09:09 PM. Reason: Minor grammar and puctuation errors

Omg i want some now, but I fly to NY in 6 hours so...

Comment

That’s a labor of love and oh how I love good boudin. Nice job!!!

Comment

Very impressive. Living in Florida, I have to mail order boudin and andouille from Louisiana.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here