Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

German Bratwurst Thuringian style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German Bratwurst Thuringian style

Style only, for it to be a proper "Thüringer Bratwurst" it has to be made there.

My tried and true recipe:

For the meat I use 2/3 pork neck and 1/3 pork belly (I find that it pays to pay for quality, i. e meat from free range pigs)

The spice mix per kilogram of meat:

18 grams of salt
    3 grams of black pepper
    4 grams of caraway seed
    3 grams of Marjoram
    2 grams of mace flower powder
    1 gram of Paprika powder
    1 gram of Pimento (Allspice)

I grind the pepper and the caraway seeds with the Marjoram in a spice mill for a better texture.

Everything else is up to personal preference: Let a kitchen mixer do the heavy lifting for a more coarse Bratwurst; use a food processor with some crushed ice and 3 grams of phosphate for a more "that's how I had it from that Bratwurststand on my German holiday" experience.
    Last edited by Nils Feller; February 22, 2022, 04:51 PM.

Excellent my man, excellent!

Comment

I love trying new sausage recipes. How much meat?

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s easy, 2/3 + 1/3. 🕶

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        "The spice mix per kilogram of meat:" is what I read.

• Joey877
        Joey877 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, it does say that. I am an excellent reader.

While it makes sense that certain climates, or water, or something make food things unique to an area, over time a brat became a brat to me (other than spices and meat ratio etc) despite having spent 3+ total years of my life in Germany. But then about a year ago we went to Helen in Georgia, their downtown is all traditional German style architecture and shops and lots of food. One of the places we ate, both my wife and I were like DANG this tastes just like Germany. We asked the waitress and they said that they get all their stuff shipped in from Germany, and around Octoberfest (when we went) they get it expedited. The pretzels were just as good as anything I ever had in Germany... well because they were German. The brats were better than anything I've been consuming for the last few years, and my brain and tongue were fondly reminded of Germany... because it was made there I guess it's no different than San Fran sourdough, or NY pizza.

Anyway, I really wish I had sausage making capability, I'd love to try and make these.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; February 21, 2022, 06:32 PM.

Comment

• mcook2201
        mcook2201 commented
        Editing a comment
        Took the family to Helen GA. on a stop-over from Fort Benning (close friend graduation basic). What a wonderful little town. We all enjoyed the food, atmosphere and activities. Highly recommend a visit if your looking for a destination stop.

I’m taking note here as my heritage and family is from Germany. Haven’t made any sausage in recent times but need to revisit it.
      Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Nils Feller Thanks! I've been waiting for an authentic German Bratwurst recipe. Is the pimento a pepper powder? In the U.S. it is a pickled sweet red pepper.
        Last edited by 58limited; February 22, 2022, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Nils Feller
          Nils Feller commented
          Editing a comment
          No, it's allspice. The German name is 'Piment' and the online translator came up with pimento.
          Last edited by Nils Feller; February 22, 2022, 04:53 PM.

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Nils Feller Vielen Dank! I'm going out of town this weekend or I would make a 10 pound batch on Saturday. Maybe next weekend....
          Last edited by 58limited; February 22, 2022, 06:34 PM.

Dumb question maybe. When I was growin up in Detroit in the 50’s-60’s my ma used to get a sausage called Thuringer. I’ve never seen it anywhere else. I think she got it at a meat market. What was it, is my question?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here