Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Close to Katz Pastrami recipe question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close to Katz Pastrami recipe question

I want to make a corned beef from scratch using a brisket flat and the Meathead corned beef recipe and then take it to Pastrami using the "Close to Katz" recipe. Do I need to desalinate first? If so, how long? Thanks!

Yep, I always desalinate.

Take the brisket out of the cure, then let it sit in a vat of fresh water for 8 hours. That will pullout enough of the salt to make it just right.

Good luck! You will love it. It is my favorite recipe on the site! Get ready for awesomeness.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	999171

Comment

• PNWsmoke
      PNWsmoke commented
      Editing a comment
      that looks Bueatiful

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You would drag that picture out....that's just ridiculous !!!!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Hahaha, it is my favorite picture I think I have ever taken. LOL. Troutman

Yes, I usually desalinate overnight, so between 8-12 hours. It is required or your meat will be too salty.

Comment

I recently made this recipe and I second Spinaker 's comment.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang right you do. LOL.

• JakeT
        JakeT commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey I never doubted it! Going to pick up a Prime packer this weekend!

I'm doing this recipe for this weekend, unfortunately I didn't get it in the brine until Sunday, cooking on Saturday. The recipe calls for 5-7 days in the brine, 8 hours desalinate, and 2 days with rub. If you had to cut a couple days, where would you do it? Brine it Sunday-Thursday, desalinate overnight, rub Friday and smoke Saturday? Or Brine Sunday-Friday, desalinate overnight, rub Saturday morning before it goes on the smoker? Either way will be way better than the store bought corned beef I smoked last year!

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        That sounds like a sound plan. You want to make sure the brine has a chance to do its thing and penetrate fully, so spend the most time on brining. Next would be desalinating, making sure you change the water 2-3 times. Rub occurs just prior to cooking, I don't see the need to waste additional time on that.

I just did this with a store cured brisket point. I soaked it overnight, changing the water once. I rubbed it right before smoking it. Salt level was fine and the rub adhered with no issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here