Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cured Smoked Pork Shank advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cured Smoked Pork Shank advice needed.

I just purchased a couple of pork shanks from porter road and would like to cure and smoke to add to beans or soups etc. I have never cured anything before so this is a first. I will use Dr. Blonders calculator for the cure, but have a few questions:

1. Is there a recipe or pretty much use the calculator and then smoke?
    2. Can I pull from brine and then wait a few days before smoking or do I need to time it so I smoke the day it comes out?
    3. Time and temp for the smoke?
    4. Wood preference?

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have.

I would just use the bacon recipe cure and add extra pepper, honey and jalapeño per my preference.

If it stil has the skin remove from brine dry and leave skin uncovered in fridge for 2 days to dry out.

Smoke at 250f until 165- 190f internal. Wood is not that important so use what you have.

When done stab it with a long rod or fork and hold it over the coals or directly in the firebox to crisp the skin.
    Last edited by Ahumadora; July 18, 2020, 06:38 AM.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you!!!!

What has been said above, but with a few comments for adding to beans or other things like gumbo. In the South hickory is the standard wood. Use the entire shank when making the beans. The flavor of the marrow will add a richness to the broth. Shanks are also really good braised.

Comment

• pjlstrat
      pjlstrat commented
      Editing a comment
      Great Advice!! Thank you.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here