Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork belly curing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork belly curing question

Hello all! I just bought an 11 lb, pork belly from costco so i could make bacon for the first time..... i plan on following Meathead recipe for the first time, it calls for 3lb pork belly then gives the curing recipe.
    so should i cut my 11 lb belly into to smaller 3lb chunks or smoke the thing whole and adjust the prague powder based on the calculation link??? Thanks any tips or advice is appreciated!

Use the curing calculator here https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely

For ease of handling you might want to slice that in half, simply because two 5.5 lb sections will be easier to flip, etc but the formula won't change.

Comment

rickgregory has a good solution. Or better still, just cut it in 3 parts and make up the recipe plus a little extra and do it that way.

Comment

The only reason I recommended against cutting into thirds is that sometimes doing that can leave you with oddly shaped or too short pieces when it comes to slicing them into bacon. But if you can and the individual hunks are still a good size, yeah, do that.
        Last edited by rickgregory; February 15, 2020, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Cutting into three pieces will allow you to try all three of meathead’s recipes.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here