Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brine in the freezer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brine in the freezer?

My freezer has paid for itself several times over. We buy meats either in fair quantities or stock up when something we enjoy is on sale. I portion things like it will be just the wife and I, then vacc seal and freeze. If we need more I just grab more packages. The things I end up doing most often are chicken parts and ribeyes. Here's my question. Can I add the salt to dry brine before freezing? I'm sold on dry brined meats. If it's ready to go by the time it's thawed in the fridge overnight I've saved my self some time and one less mess to clean up.

Theoretically, yes. It will take some time to freeze the meat, and the salt will do its thing. Then when thawed before cooking, and while cooking, the salt migrates inward again.

Comment

I would think yes also. Good question. I have a 21 cu. ft. freezer and I have never tried it. I may try it on some pork chops the next time I buy some. Dry brining works well on pork.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; November 21, 2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

What I do is dry brine then seal. I then leave in the refrigerator for several hours to several days depending on the thickness of the protein. I then freeze it.

Comment

• mnavarre
          mnavarre commented
          Editing a comment
          fracmeister I've started going straight to the grill from the freezer. Takes right about the same amount of time as SV, maybe even a bit less. Takes a bit more attention, but if I'm outside by the fire pit anyway I might as well.

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          Me 3

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          This is how I do it, including going straight from freezer to smoker. I not only dry brine first, but also apply the rub, then freeze.

I routinely salt, vac seal, and refrigerate for 24 hours. After that, it goes into the freezer until it’s time to cook.

Comment

I salt and season then vac seal and straight into the freezer. From there it goes straight into the sous vide from frozen. We buy from costco and ill reg do this with pork chops and chicken parts. Never had anything but good results. The pork chops and chicken thighs i will sear after sous vide, chicken breasts i just slice. Always comes out tasty and very tender.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here