Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question on dry brining...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question on dry brining...

When I dry brine a brisket, I put the salt all over it at the recommended 1/2 tsp per lb. No problem.

However when I brine the smaller pieces like steak and hamburger patties, should I apply the salt to both sides or is one side sufficient?

Oh. Happy Valentines Day.

I always apply to both sides, and try to brine overnight if possible.

HVD

Comment

I dry-brine both sides. I've let some steaks between 3/4 - 1 inch sit uncovered in the fridge for up 2 days on a rack sitting above a baking sheet. This allows for air circulation. Steaks that get food-savered and frozen get brined right before going in the bag - advice from this site.

I salt ribs the morning of the cook, and then rub them about 2 or so hours before the cook. I inject pork loin roasts with MH's recipe.

Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt is highly recommended. I generally hold the container about 2 feet above the meat and sprinkle. More dispersion that way. I go by eye sight, and the rule that you brine with the amount that you would normally use if you were salting the meat at the table.

Dry-brining rocks, and the meat really tastes so much better and is always much more juicy!

-- Ed

Comment

Thank ya'll very much. I appreciate the info.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Be careful dry brining ground meat for too long!!!

• Syko
          Syko commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, normally I brine the patties for about 3 hrs. Sound about right?

I don't recommend dry brining burgers. It can impact the compaction of the meat. I discuss it here http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hambu...amburgers.html

Comment

• Syko
          Syko commented
          Editing a comment
          AH! Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here