Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In search of..... smoked salt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In search of..... smoked salt

Our local purveyor of smoked salt has run into some challenges in keeping a supply on hand for us to purchase on our timetable.

In other words, they have it -- just not when we happen to be able to pop into the store to buy some.

So we've been looking online for some smoked salt sellers (as opposed to "smoked salt cellars"), and were curious who the Pit would recommend. We've tried the SF Salt Company on Amazon, and while it appears to be a fine product - it did not meet our own personal taste preference.

We're particularly fond of alderwood smoked salt (coarse grind preferred, vs fine), if that matters.

We've looked briefly at the Hawaiian Smoked Salt and Maldon smoked salt from SpiceHouse, but don't know how the flavor would align, being different woods from alderwood . Plus, it looks like they may be a finer grind than what we are looking for.

Any other suggestions?

SpicesInc.com?

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      WillTravelForFood commented
      Editing a comment
      alderwood is out of stock here too. And also, appears to be flake rather than coarse. But appreciate the suggestion

Try this https://www.worldspice.com/spices/alderwood-smoked-salt

The store has been around forever (it's in Pike Place Market in Seattle) and has really high quality spices.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      Editing a comment
      hrm, it's a possibility - but unsure if the grind is what we're looking for.

we know, we know. picky picky picky.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      You're never going to know the grind with online orders. If you want to be really specific and if you can find some alder, I'd smoke your own so you control it well. It's actually a good idea, IMO since it's so much cheaper.
      Oh - just scrolled down... never mind 😄
      Last edited by rickgregory; November 9, 2022, 10:38 AM.

make it! I make a few batches per year, easy peasy. Sheet of foil, fold the edges up a bit so you can stir the salt, use a toothpick to pinhole the foil a bit if using kosher salt. Mix every 30 min or so. If you plan on grinding it into table salt, you can spritz it lightly with water every hour or so, it will cake up that way but it doesn't matter if you're gonna grind it.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      I was wondering about this. How long do you smoke it for? I imagine temp isn't a big deal, right?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      rickgregory I generally keep it at 225 of below, depends what else I'm cooking. My best batch was a few hours in my main cooking chamber and then 12 more hours in my warming box. I would suggest that 6 hours is likely sufficient, but the long cook likely benefited more from the extra stirring than the extra time in smoke.

• WillTravelForFood
      Editing a comment
      good suggestion, but not an option for us for various reasons. Perhaps in the future.

The Spice House online store features exquisite spices, herbs and seasonings. Browse our fabulous selection of spices and recipes and bring your dishes to life.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
      Editing a comment
      yes, mentioned SpiceHouse at the top. But don't have insights on their flavor profiles, being different woods than expected.

• Draznnl
      Draznnl commented
      Editing a comment
      WillTravelForFood That’s what I get for just skimming your OP and jumping to action. I’ve never tried any of their smoked salts, so I can’t help you on the question of flavor profiles. Good luck on your search.

I used to have a tiny shop specializing mostly in salt in walking distance. I wish it was still around.

Comment

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
        Editing a comment
        the smallest size SaltWorks carries for our purposes is 5lb bags. Seems a bit heavy for home use.

• TJewell
        TJewell commented
        Editing a comment
        No, you can get small packs of a couple ounces. Just have to go to the retail tab.

• WillTravelForFood
        Editing a comment
        TJewell - gosh darn it, sold out here as well. There's a gosh darn consipiracy going on with so many vendors out of stock on alderwood smoked salt. LOL

I have a few smoked salts from SJ which are excellent.

Infuse your dishes with the unique salinity and smokiness of the smoked sea salt from Spice Jungle. Order your smoked salt in bulk to beef up the BBQ.

Comment

• WillTravelForFood
        Editing a comment
        Alderwood: sold out here as well.

what the ding-dang-dong is going on here?

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        I mean... I pointed you at a product page that IS alderwood smoked salt. It's cheap enough to try. If you are going to order online you're going to have to take a chance that the product is close enough to what you want or you'll never pull the trigger.

• WillTravelForFood
        Editing a comment
        rickgregory pull the trigger? take a chance? but... but.... but.... analysis paralysis is our middle name!

Honest question here because I don't know much about it....what is the purpose of smoked salt? Is it enough to add a smoky essence to whatever you put it on, the equivalent of (but surely less potent than) say onion salt? I've smoked brown sugar before, and failed, and even had some sent to me from a pro compeition pitmaster, and it didn't seem smokey in the slightest, tasted like regular brown sugar every time. I picture the same with salt. I want to learn though.

Comment

I would just cold smoke your own.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        This might be the chemistry teacher in me, but the melting point of salt is WAY up there a lot higher than any smoker is going to produce. I'm not challenging you, Richard, I'm just wondering if there is any reason one would want to cold smoke it? Seems like one could just put the salt in the smoker while smoking any meat?

And keep in mind my question is coming from a guy who has NEVER smoked salt. (But might this weekend on a brisket cook.)

I have been getting salt from Sea Salts of Hawaii. Good story behind their business and they do carry a smoked salt among everything else.

Beautiful Assortment of Hawaiian Gourmet Sea Salts from pristine sources. Made in Hawaii with mostly locally grown ingredients. All natural

Comment

Without doing a search, I wonder if Jacobson carries one.
        ​​​​​​….

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here