Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brined, not steak, for THREE DAYS - a question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brined, not steak, for THREE DAYS - a question...

So before you say anything, 'twas not I who actually did this. But I bear some responsibility. Kind of like Inception.

I've been trying to get my dad to start dry brining meats. He says is allergic to adding work but I think it's more that he likes the way he does things and doesn't feel like changing, especially if it's grilling advice from me! If I could get his barber to feed this little idea to him, he'd come home a totally changed man, LOL. Anyway, I digress.

Here is the situation: he calls me today and tells me he has dry brined a leg of lamb. Great, I say. The party is tomorrow, so I figure he's just finished it. Then he asks me if dry brining tends to dry out the meat. To that I say, it should not. Then I start asking questions.

- When did he salt the meat? Tuesday, he says. Been sitting uncovered in a separate fridge.
    - How much salt did he use? He doesn't know. He just broke out the Mortons and threw it on, like the guy on Youtube did.
    - Which guy on Youtube? He does not recall. When I mention the generally accepted amount is .25-.5 tsp per pound, depending on the amount of bone, he coughs.

At this point, I ask if he's got a backup. He says there's a Costco near where he is headed. He was planning to cook the leg today, and re-heat tomorrow, which in this case is a very good plan I think. But here's my question, and I know this story's about lamb but might as well think of it across the board: Is there anything that's not steak in which dry brining for more than 24 hours will help, and on the flip side what is the downside? In this case, with the leg of lamb, my concern is it will probably come out mushy due to the extra time the salt has had in there. Any thoughts on this? Besides purchasing a Pitmaster subscription for pops, which I am sure to do this holiday season!

As always, thanks all. Cheers!

Probably but not necessarily too long: https://www.seriouseats.com/how-to-dry-brine (see toward the end of the article) For larger chunks of protein, they say up to 3 days is okay.

I'd be more concerned about the unknown amount of salt he used.

Comment

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh indeed, I am. Just figured one issue at a time. And thanks for the article, I do like Kenji and the folks at Serious Eats.

Just as an opener, I think ya have to see it to know if it is alright. Then again, goin another day or two might be a problem. Unless it’s mutton, I wouldn’t brine it more than a few hours, but that’s just me, and I would go lite on the brine vs pork or chicken. If he cooks it now & tastes it now he will have an idea if he needs a redux tomorrow.

Comment

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, I agree and that is the plan. We shall see, I suppose. I'm just glad there will be an alternative should this turn out to be a bust.

Personally I brine the full 1/2 tsp/lb (Kosher salt) regardless of bone, and I too would be concered more with how much did he actually use than the amount of time it sits dry brining. I've gone 3 or 4 days with steaks (I know you asked 'not steak') but the salt sitting on it will not hurt it at all. You only have to worry about how long it will remain good unpackaged in the fridge, or if it's uncovered will it dry the surface or contaiminate other things, etc....dry brining salt is a moot point for fridge sitting.

Comment

• Mister C
      Mister C commented
      Editing a comment
      Okay, good to know. I've tried to stick to 24 hours on the outside for dry brining anything, and I generally don't cook steaks but am aware that it's not a bad thing to let them go substantially longer than that. Thanks!

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Cool avatar!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here