Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is dry brine in a vacuum sealed bag safe to fridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is dry brine in a vacuum sealed bag safe to fridge?

I bought a choice rib roast on sale for $6.99 a pound. Sell by date was the 27th. So I just got home and salted it with Kosher salt and vacuum sealed it, and put it in the fridge. Family is coming on January 2nd for a feast. Is it safe to fridge that long or should I freeze and thaw it a day or two before? Couldn't pass up on the roast at that price!!

I'm thinking you should be Ok as that's a sell by date, not a use by date.

Comment

It really depends on when it was slaughtered and how long it was in the bag before you bought it. If it was already 2 months out from the plant, you'd be pushing the limits. You should be fine, and the salt should help. If it were me, I'd keep it in the fridge. If you are feeding old people, children, or those with weak immune systems, you might want to freeze it.

Comment

Thank you for the replies! I was thinking I would be fine, considering the vacuum bag and the salt. Regardless i knew I wanted to fridge it for a few days either way to allow the salt to work it's way in. Hoping it turns out well! Meathead has changed the way I grill and cook. Overtime we have had guests come over for meals I've cooked or grilled using what I have learned here, I look like a rockstar!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here