Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Bacon Brining Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Bacon Brining Time

So I've been messing around with different variations of Meatheads bacon recipe. The one I have brining currently is the traditional with a slew of dried thai peppers added to the brine.
    I've found that cutting the pork belly into smaller pieces absorbs more flavor and I used the scale to convert the recipe from 3 lbs up to 4.75 lbs.
    The scale calls for 2.8 days of curing. Is there any disadvantage if I go 4 or 5? I'd like to smoke it next weekend.

You can go 20% over, then take it out and wrap it up in the fridge until the smoke.
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; April 3, 2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

• SmokeyJ
      SmokeyJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you

I started some bacon this past Sunday. The cure calculator said 2.8 days, I went until Saturday morning and everything was fine but I probably should have followed Jerod Broussard 's advice and pulled it out of the brine Thursday or Friday.

Comment

One thing to remember about the calculator... it's a best practice given certain inputs, but it's not a 'do this or you're wrong' thing. Curing has been used for millennia. There's definitely leeway and the difference between 3 and 5 days isn't going to matter that much. Now would I go, say, 10 days if the calculator said 2.8? Nah. But use the calculator and temper it with common sense.
      Last edited by rickgregory; April 3, 2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Sorry, not qualified. I dry cure bacon. Only thing I wet cure is city hams...speaking of, need to pull one out of freezer for Easter soon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here