Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not exactly a new recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not exactly a new recipe

OK. This isn't a new recipe by any means, but I have doctored it somewhat. I received this book several years ago and have made the mustard sauce a few times.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220617_182307.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	1238319
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20220617_182256.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	1238318
    I've always thought that is a little too sweet. While on vacation in North Carolina we stopped at a BBQ place that served a sauce similar to this but thinner. It had a little more tang. So I thought what the heck let's try a spin on this. I followed the recipe except that I eliminated the honey and I added a teaspoon of granulated garlic, and a tablespoon of fresh ground coriander. As it cooked, I slowly added apple cider vinegar until it thinned out and there was more balance between sugar and vinegar. What I was left with in the end was a tangy mustard sauce with a back note of sweet. Now, my wife, who in her own words "Hates mustard!" went crazy for this sauce. She put it on everything. Even her sweet potato! We now use it as a sauce for our vegetables. The point of this long winded post is that you never know what a small change will bring in a recipe. I think that this is what this website is about. Take the knowledge we're given and run with it. You can change people's minds

Sounds very good! The way you describe making your sauce reminds me of the way I make sweet and sour sauce. It’ll be tangy with a note of sweet. I’ll be making this very soon. Thank you.

Comment

Sounds great!

Another thought is trying Champagne Vinegar. I started using that in my spritz when I am making brisket and it is fantastic. I bet it would be great in a sauce.

Comment

So in the end, about how much of the cider vinegar was in there? I love this style of sauce and in fact had a bottled version on a sammie a few minutes ago. I will make this version for a try.

Comment

• Starsky
          Starsky commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, that's hard to say. I started with the recipe amount and added a tablespoon at a time. Let it cook, tasted repeat. It's more of a personal thing

Here's Steven Raichlen's version:

Carolina Mustard BBQ Sauce — Grillocracy

Comment

Sounds good, I will add to my repatua of BBQ sauces

Comment

If you want a bit of body to this sauce, grate up a sweet apple (peeled) at the beginning of the sauce pan part.

Comment

• Starsky
              Starsky commented
              Editing a comment
              Does the apple breakdown or do you strain it out later?

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here