Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brine for pork loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brine for pork loin

Hey all!
    I'm looking for a tried and true pork brine that you like to use. I'm looking to make a great bbq sandwich this weekend and it involves thinly sliced tri tip, pork loin, bacon and sautéed onions. A buddy of mine that owns a bbq truck here locally makes this sandwich and it's phenomenal! Looking to replicate it for my family.

Anyway, just wondering what ya'll use to wet brine your pork?

Thanks in advance!

Most flavorings won't go deep in the meat, so I keep it simple:

Base - water, salt, sugar. Salt and sugar in 1:1 ratio. Heat it all so things dissolve, cool down before using.

Flavorings: In place of some or all of the sugar above you can use maple syrup, agave, honey, etc. If you'd like red pepper flakes, bay leaf, etc add to the cooling brine (add when it's hot but at the end, as you pull it off the heat to cool. You're basically making a tea).

Flavorings I like with pork - red pepper flakes, bay leaf, sage, rosemary.

Keep in mind that if you're adding it to a lot of other stuff and especially if you're saucing the pork subtlety won't come through. On it's own, sliced and served as a dinner? Herbal flavors might come through. Mixed with a Carolina mustard sauce? Not as much. In the later case, decide on a strong flavor you want and do that.

Comment

Assuming you mean traditional pork loin, not the Canadian bacon version of pork loin?

Similar, I use 1 gallon water + 1 cup table salt. I also add 1 cup sugar for chicken, but began omitting it with pork, personal preference. For a loin I go 2-3hrs, that too is based on personal preference from a few trials. For loin chops I go 1 hour, 2 max if they're thick. I add other spices after brining right before grilling.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here