Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about Smoked Garlic Powder & Smoked Onion Powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Smoked Garlic Powder & Smoked Onion Powder

Page 172 of Meathead's book, the recipe/instruction for Smoked Garlic Powder & Smoked Onion Powder, I have two questions:

Is there a recommendation for wood to flavor, or would these be just the smoke from the coal be best (that is what I am leaning towards, as it might be the most 'neutral')?

Second, assuming the finished product is properly sealed and stored, what would be estimated shelf life? 3 months? Less? More?

I don't know if there's a proper wood to use, but I've done it with briquettes and hickory, and I thought the flavor was perfect...

Comment

I'd venture to guess that the type of wood matters little, after all, smoked onion or garlic is likely to be a very small amount of whatever recipe you'll use them in. Then again, I am most definitely not a super taster. As for powdering, I keep anything like this in the size that it was smoked or dried in--the idea being that the larger the chunk, the less volatiles lost.Grind just enough for your recipe each time and keep the rest "whole". Shelf life? I dunno, but probably many months.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
        DogFaced PonySoldier commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm Italian.... garlic ain't no "very small amount" of my recipes!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here