Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've done gone an' smoked a chickin - and it was grand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done gone an' smoked a chickin - and it was grand

Hi all!

I smoked a chicken the other day. It turned out exceptional. Yet there was nothing special about this cook, except for one thing: butter! It's a love affair. All that fat means flavor.

Ingredients

1 chicken
    70 grams of butter
    1.5-2 tbsp pork/poultry rub

Cook time

1-1.5 hours

Serves

2-4 people (completely depending on appetite, and size of bird)

Instructions

Get your hands on a fine yard bird, I picked a corn fed one, hence the slightly yellow color.

Spatchcock it (cut off the spine), flip it over, and flatten it a bit. Rotate the chicken thighs so I lays flat. I use a tray to make things easier, like moving it around. Plus: I didn't have to clean the grates :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	spatchcocked_chicken_raw.jpg
Views:	2799
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	1057493

Now apply your favorite rub on the skin. I used about 0.5 tbsp.

Name:	spatchcocked_chicken_rub.jpg
Views:	880
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	1057494

Fire up your offset smoker (in this case an offset is preferred, due to all the convection heat). Have it running at 150° C / 300° F. I ran mine on 100% oak wood.

Name:	spatchcocked_chicken_smoker.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	1057495

Now while the chicken is in the smoker, melt 70 grams of real butter (don't skimp, this is key), and add 1 tbsp of your rub and stir well. Keep the butter rub luke warm by placing the pan on the firebox.

Every 20 minutes, baste the skin with the butter rub. I do it 2-3 times, and at this temp the chicken is done in about 1 hour.

Now pull that chicken out and look at that glorious glistening fat shine in the sun! Oh man, this is good. Now pull off a chicken thigh, dunk it in some Alabama White Sauce, and enjoy!

Name:	spatchcocked_chicken_with_a_butter_rub.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	1057496

All in all this was a simple cook, but that butter rub really was a HUGE hit. On the other hand, when has added fat been negative for flavor? Beats me.

Anyhow, I hope you try this for your next poultry cook, have a great weekend!

Looks great to me. Was the skin crispy? I ask because butter is ~ 15% water and that moisture might prevent the skin from getting super crispy. I do occasionally use ghee as a binder though.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      No, it turned out great, but I was cooking at higher temps and using convection heat (good air flow), so that sure helped.

So, if my mental calculator is working, approximately 5 tablespoons butter to 1 tablespoon rub. Sounds good, especially to butter loving people like me.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You got it 👊

That looks great! I need to put a board under two legs of my pellet smoker to give it some offset

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      See? Getting an offset doesn’t have to be expensive

Did the butter crisp the skin?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      More like air flow and higher temp, but yes.

OK here are my comments;

1) The hillbilly "I've done gone" in your title transcends your otherwise intellectual command of the English language Hank. Might I suggest the synonymic phase "It was dayammmmm gud" instead
    2) Why is it that your prop cooker is always brand new? Where is the tried and true, greasy and well cured Rude Boy? We miss him !!!
    3) Might I suggest another tweak to your recipe. Everything is better with butter but for the initial phase of the cooking, substitute I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray (if you can get it) in lieu of the actual thing achieves nearly the same effect. It's mostly oil so it doesn't burn as bad. Then finish off with the real thing for the win !!
    Other than that, that's some dayammmmmm gud lookin' yardbird my man !!!!

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +2 with Troutman when we smoke turkeys we use a canola based cooking spray on the skin as per Malcom Reed's recipe's with excellent results.
      Green apple, red apple probably but butter can get expensive around here while a can of good cooking spray is $2ish.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv different recipe but same technique.

Who doesn't love a properly smoked chicken? Last year I began to develop what I consider (at least for my tastes) the perfect smoked chicken. My usual rotation has grown quit large over the past 5 years, so its unusual for me to prepare the same recipe more then a couple of times a year by default. But smoked (and sometimes

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman - that dog gonned Rude Boy runned off on me. All I gots is this backyard size meat enhancer Don’t have any butter (real or not) in spray form whatsoever in this here country. Sounds great though, I like the idea.

Keep it simple, I am with you, BBQ friend. I will try the butter+rub. Thanks for the posting.
    You Done Good!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Muchos gracias!!

Great looking cook brother!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks John!

That looks great! I'm going to have to try this in the KBQ!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      The KBQ? Gonna turn out awesome 👌

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Do it!!! Run the temp dial cranked and let it rip, brother!

Henrik

I did this recipe last weekend and it was a huge hit. Paired it with pork belly burnt ends, corn on the cob and a nice salad. Thanks for posting it!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank YOU for trying it out! I agree, did 3 more chickens a few days ago the same way. Tasty!

Tried this out last night and it was great! I used 6 TBS homemade ghee from grass-fed cow butter and mixed 2 TBS Dizzy Pig's Fajita-ish seasoning. This was one of the best yard birds that ever laid on my grill! Adding this to my "when we have friends over" file.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Great to hear!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here