Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Cured Pork Loin Lonzino/Lomo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Cured Pork Loin Lonzino/Lomo

My daughter has been experimenting with the Sausage Maker's Dry Aging Steak Wraps (here) for making whole piece salume. This one turned out very good.

Recipe:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	1393261

Method:
    1. Start with fresh pork loin , this one was about 2 pounds and its very closely trimmed. The fat cap is usually left on, but we don't really like it that way.
    2. Grind the spices into a fine powder.
    3. Lay the loin on a large sheet of plastic wrap and sprinkle/rub the spices on all sides of the loin.
    4. Roll the loin up in the plastic wrap so that all the spices that scattered around ends up on the meat, and vacuum seal into a vacuum bag.
    (The plastic wrap isn't really necessary, but we do it to make sure that all the spices remain on the meat when its put in the vacuum bag. This is important when a measured quantity of cure is involved).
    5. Put the bagged loin in the fridge and forget it for 2-3 weeks.
    6. Remove from the bag and plastic wrap and rinse.
    7. Cut a piece of the dry steak wrap big enough to complete surround the loin.
    8. Follow the dry steak wrap instructions to apply the wrap and netting. .
    9. Weigh and record the "green weight", then back into the fridge on a cooling rack to dry for enough time for lose about 35% of the green weight.
    10. In this case it was about 5 weeks, remove the netting, rinse off the remains of the wrap, slice thin and enjoy.

Raw loin:

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	1393262
    Vacuum bagged for curing:

Name:	curing.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1393263
    After cure and rinse:

Name:	cured.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1393264
    Wrapped for drying:

Name:	wrapped.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	1393265
    Drying time vs. weight loss:

Name:	chart.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1393266
    After netting removed:

Name:	unwrapped.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	1393267
    Done:

Name:	cut3_edited-1.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1393268
    Thin sliced:

Name:	slices.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1393269

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this! So much fun making these types of dry cured meats! I’ve used Umai bags for various types of sausage and pancetta. I wanted to do something like this, but never got around to it. I’ll have to revisit that with this post!

thanks for sharing this! Looks absolutely amazing!

Comment

That is some pretty cool stuff.

Comment

Looks sooo good,,,!!!!

Comment

Quite impressive.

Comment

I cure a LOT of wild pork loin. My cure is 1 part brown sugar to 3 parts Morton tenderquick and some powdered bay leaves (i eyeball the bay leaves). I cure for 3-5 days depending on size. Remove, and desalinate overnight. Dust with pepper, garlic, and onion powder, then roll in course cornmeal or grits. Dry overnight on a rack uncovered in my meat aging fridge (37°, 75% humidity, high airflow. Smoke over hickory at 225° until 145° internal. Remove to wire rack and let coast up to 155°. Chill overnight, then slice. Fry up in a greased black iron skillet. Hers looks REALLY good. I may adapt it to my rig and try it!

Comment

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              johnec00 you don't want to use wild hog for charcuterie, unless you want a side of trichinosis. That said, i was thinking of trying this with commodity pork.

• johnec00
              johnec00 commented
              Editing a comment
              texastweeter agreed on the wild hogs, but my hog hunting days are well in the rear view mirror at this point. We normally age charcuterie in a dedicated drying chamber, this was an experiment with the dry aging wraps and the regular fridge. We are preparing two pieces of loin now for a side by side . . . dry aging wraps vs. curing chamber.

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know how the dedicated rig works. I built one that can hold 8 full subprimals, and would be up to trying this!

nice write-up, and nice pictures, I would eat that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here