Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoked Spiral cut Ham / Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked Spiral cut Ham / Hero

Hi all,

one thing I've seen a lot in the US is spiral cut ham. We don't have that in Sweden, so I decided to make one myself. I guess the only thing you need is a ham and a knife

Anywho, I wanted to do a relatively quick cook so I bought a pre-cooked ham from the store. This one was 2.2 kilos before trimming.

Serves: 8

Ingredients
    2 kilo pre-cooked ham
    4 tbsp pork rub
    2 tbsp sumac
    0.8 cups dark syrup/molasses

Prep time: 10 minutes

Cook time: 1.5 hours

Instructions
    Remove the skin, and that's it. Not much prep. Cut it in pencil thick slices, just like you do with a hasselback potato. Leave about 1.5" at the bottom so it holds together.

Sprinkle the sumac evenly in between each slice. If anything is left, sprinkle it on top.

Dust the whole ham on all sides with the pork rub.

Smoke it using the grill/smoker you prefer, have it running at 120° C / 250° F. Since it is already pre-cooked we just want to add smoke flavor and warm it up before serving.

After 45 minutes it is time to apply the first layer of syrup glaze. Brush on a liberal layer. Keep repeating this every 15 minutes until the ham is done. It is done when internal temp is 50-55° C / 122-131° F.

I made a foot long hero stuffed with the ham, lettuce, paprika relish, Danish remoulade sauce and fried onion. Pretty darn tasty!

Pre-cooked ham, with slices cut

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham-1.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1221686

Sumac applied

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham-2.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1221685

Rub applied

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham-3.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	1221689

First layer of glaze applied in the smoker

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham-4.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1221691

The finished ham

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	126.5 KB
ID:	1221688

Starting to build a sandwich, here with the Danish remoulade

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham-5.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1221687

And the finished product

Name:	smoked_spiral_ham-6.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	1221690

Good job, that looks delicious

Comment

I would pair that with PBR,

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds like a great combo!

They're a staple in this house, we picked up 2 10-12lbers last friday for 1.49/lb.
      Did one on the gasser for the weekend and the other ones for the Keg next weekend.
      Our spirals are cut very thinly compared to yours so there's not the ability to get in between the slices with sumac or spices like you did.
      Comes with its own brown sugar glaze in powder form and that's where the true beauty in this begins, cook the glaze too long and it goes rock hard, the trick is to get it just right.
      A good ranch dressing tater salad and enjoy.
      Nice job.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I've seen the thin slices on the American hams, I guess they're cut by a machine. I couldn't do that by hand :-) Oh well, smoked ham is smoked ham, still good.

That was a boneless ham, right, Henrik ? Looks like it. I find that smoking an American style spiral sliced bone-in ham tends to dry it out. I like your idea of getting a boneless ham and cutting thicker slices. It's going on my list. Thanks!

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it was boneless. I’ve never done a store bought spiral ham, but this turned out good in terms of moisture 👍

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here