Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Pepper Smoked Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot Pepper Smoked Pork

Cannot wait to try this!

Recipe: Nashville Hot Smoked Pork, the easiest showstopper (thetakeout.com)
    • 1 big ol’ pork shoulder (test batches were 5-7 lb. shoulders) and enough time to cook it
    • 2.5 lbs. hot peppers (ghost peppers, habañeros, red jalapenos, and Anaheim chiles all work well at varying heat levels), stems removed
    • 8 cloves garlic, peeled
    • 60 grams kosher salt
    1. Chop up your peppers and garlic by pulsing in a food processor or blender until coarse but consistent. Note to all you high-end blender people: take care not to overheat the mix and ruin your fermentation chances.
    2. Add the salt and mix thoroughly. Transfer to a clean airlock jar (you can use a regular mason jar if you off-gas daily, but otherwise these are a great option), weighing down the peppers and leaving at least an inch of headspace.
    3. Place in a cupboard or a closet or somewhere generally temperate and without light. Check daily for fermentation activity and make sure the peppers remain covered in brine. Note: The brine mentioned here is simply the liquid given off by the peppers, there is no additional brine required.
    4. Hang out for a week, doing cool stuff. You want at least a week of fermentation, though you can go for two if you’re a super-planner.
    5. Marinade time: Blend and strain. You don’t necessarily have to do this, but you’ll end up with a lot of charred pepper skin confetti on your pork if you don’t. I learned!
    6. Place your pork in a zip-top bag, pour the marinade over, push out the air, and seal. Place it on a sheet pan in the fridge, unless you trust the store-brand bag implicitly. Marinate overnight, turning a couple of times if you get a chance.
    7. Heat your smoker to 225 degrees and get your water pan in place. Smoke for about 2 hours per pound. Spritz it if that’s your thing. When it attains what you, in your wisdom, know as The Magical Jiggle (usually close to 195-205 internal temp) then it’s time to rock.
    8. Serve with buns, sauce, pickled onions, and jalapeños—all that fun stuff. You’ll probably want beer too.

Last edited by pkadare; November 11, 2021, 08:57 AM. Reason: Added a note about the "brine". Thanks to @tRidiot for asking the question.

I assume the "covered in brine" comment means you're supposed to put some liquid in there or something? I don't see anything in any of the steps about adding a liquid.

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Good question. I'll ask that in the comments for the article.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok, the author is obviously online 🥱and the answer is there's no additional brine, the recipe refers to the liquid that is coming from the peppers themselves. I'll add a note to the recipe above. Thanks for asking!
      Last edited by pkadare; November 11, 2021, 08:55 AM.

Saw that recipe and I agree, it sounds awesome. Been meaning to get some fermenting lids and this may be the final kick I need to pull the trigger

Comment

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Same here. I actually had a fermentation kit in my Amazon cart. Hopefully I remembered to add it to my wish list.

• pkadare
      pkadare commented
      Editing a comment
      Pulled the trigger and ordered this kit - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01H7GI7V8?th=1. Now I just have to figure out how to get some fresh hot peppers up here. :-)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here