Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATK Cast Iron Pan Pizza Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATK Cast Iron Pan Pizza Recipe

Made this last night and it was excellent. You need to plan ahead a bit as the dough needs a 12 to 24 hour rest in the fridge and then needs to be removed from the fridge 2 hours before cooking. I only had 10" pans which worked alright, though some oil overflowed and there was cheese stuck around the outside of the pan. When I do this again, I'll do it in the 12" pans I've ordered. :-) Also, the recipe only calls for oil on the bottom of the pan, next time I'll also oil the sides.

Ingredients
    Dough
    2 cups (11 ounces) bread flour
    1 teaspoon table salt
    1 teaspoon instant or rapid-rise yeast
    1 cup (8 ounces) warm water (105 to 110 degrees)
    Vegetable oil spray
    Sauce
    1 (14.5-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes
    1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
    1 garlic clove, minced
    ¼ teaspoon sugar
    ¼ teaspoon table salt
    ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
    Pinch red pepper flakes
    Pizza
    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (1 cup) 7 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, shredded (1¾ cups)

Directions
    FOR THE DOUGH: Using wooden spoon or spatula, stir flour, salt, and yeast together in bowl. Add warm water and mix until most of flour is moistened. Using your hands, knead dough in bowl until dough forms sticky ball, about 1 minute. Spray 9-inch pie plate or cake pan with oil spray. Transfer dough to prepared plate and press into 7- to 8-inch disk. Spray top of dough with oil spray. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.

FOR THE SAUCE: Place tomatoes in fine-mesh strainer and crush with your hands. Drain well, then transfer to food processor. Add oil, garlic, sugar, salt, oregano, and pepper flakes and process until smooth, about 30 seconds. (Sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.)

FOR THE PIZZA: Two hours before baking, remove dough from refrigerator and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.

Coat bottom of 12-inch cast-iron skillet with oil. Transfer dough to prepared skillet and use your fingertips to flatten dough until it is â…› inch from edge of skillet. Cover tightly with plastic and let rest until slightly puffy, about 1½ hours.

Thirty minutes before baking, adjust oven rack to lowest position and heat oven to 400 degrees. Spread ½ cup sauce evenly over top of dough, leaving ½-inch border (save remaining sauce for another use). Sprinkle Monterey Jack evenly over border. Press Monterey Jack into side of skillet, forming ½- to ¾-inch-tall wall. (Not all cheese will stick to side of skillet.) Evenly sprinkle mozzarella over sauce. Bake until cheese at edge of skillet is well browned, 25 to 30 minutes.

Transfer skillet to stovetop and let sit until sizzling stops, about 3 minutes. Run butter knife around rim of skillet to loosen pizza. Using thin metal spatula, gently lift edge of pizza and peek at underside to assess browning. Cook pizza over medium heat until bottom crust is well browned, 2 to 5 minutes (skillet handle will be hot). Using 2 spatulas, transfer pizza to wire rack and let cool for 10 minutes. Slice and serve.
    ​​​​​​​

Tagging to start this recipe Thursday night for Friday service!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Pics please!

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes please!

• RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, just a fantasy without pictures. SheilaAnn knows 😁 per her post.

This sounds great.

Comment

Just started this dough. "Sticky" is an understatement! I was going to add a bit more flour, but decided to wait until i turn it out to see how it looks. I do not use spray can oil, so I used olive oil. And my salt is fine sea salt. Stay tuned!

Comment

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        When handling sticky dough, wet your hands.

Took the dough out for the first rest. You can tell where the olive oil pooled up…..

Click image for larger version

Name:	B86B370C-6E90-4437-AA29-D63A0B3CDCD4.jpeg
Views:	966
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1184542

Comment

I think a long fermentation of the dough makes a huge difference. And, draining the tomatoes well, cutting down on wetness that will affect the crust. I par cook some toppings to release moisture.

Comment

Thanks for this. Got it saved in Paprika.

Comment

Ok, and here is the final final…..

sauce: hit it with the stick blender instead of food processor because I was being lazy. Also, I had diced tomatoes, not whole. As I mentioned earlier, my "table salt" is fine sea salt. I added a pinch more. The sauce was delicious! And I would add a pinch more salt to the dough, too.
            Click image for larger version  Name:	3324CCF8-F21F-4AF4-A6E3-970E822A28AD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	125.0 KB ID:	1184667
            I got distracted by my own drama and the cheese got a little over done. Good, if you like "crunchy" cheese. I do not. I used a cheese blend that I had on hand that didn’t help. Use the whole milk mozzarella as the recipe says. Treat yo self!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DBF4B05C-0A7B-4553-ADEE-A7EEB965933D.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	157.7 KB ID:	1184668

crumb turned out great…. I tend to top our pizzas with a heavy hand. Plus, when I tried to spread the sauce, I kept deflating the dough. I failed to get the final rest photo. It was gorgeous! you can see the pockets of sauce.

Click image for larger version  Name:	C05926AB-3C76-40CA-8951-FE2DD11D7F1E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	1184669

as indicated by the recipe, you may need to finish the crust on the stove. Not this round. Is it because of the oil? Not sure, but it was also delicious. Perfect crunch. Pulled the pie with one spatula. The crust had very good backbone, as it were.

Click image for larger version  Name:	53C4C24B-5AED-4D53-BA24-C710B0F0D960.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	86.3 KB ID:	1184670

overall takeaway: very good and I will make my adjustments as mentioned above the next time I do this pie. It reminds me of https://www.seriouseats.com/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe that I also have in rotation. But I never get this good of a crust using the SE recipe.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Honestly….. my favorite part was the bottom crust! I know I jacked up the cheese topping….. but that crust!

• pkadare
              pkadare commented
              Editing a comment
              SheilaAnn - I just mixed up a batch of dough from the Serious Eats recipe. Pizza tomorrow for dinner! Yum, yum. Took me nearly as long to gather and measure out the ingredients as it did to actually make the dough. :-)

• SheilaAnn
              SheilaAnn commented
              Editing a comment
              Of course, now I want to channel my inner Richard Chrz and take it out to 48 hours…..

So I reread the SE recipe to compare to the ATK recipe and I was reminded of a few things. I preheated my KA range at 500F for an hour. Pizza stone on the bottom rack. Dropped the temp per recipe and put the pizza in the oven.

And regarding the SE recipe… if anyone reads it, read the first page of comments. It’s for the math geeks in us!

Comment

Additional pics and instructions (slightly different pizza):

Cast-Iron Skillet Pizza Margherita - Pudge Factor

Comment

Here's one from K.A. I've done it once. Really good but a long process from 1 10" pizza.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...n-pizza-recipe

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That does look good.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here