Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capt Gregs Wood Oven Pizza Sauce Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Capt Gregs Wood Oven Pizza Sauce Recipe

I had started a thread over in the pizza oven section but thought it would fit better here. Over the years I've played with my pizza oven and enjoyed many pizza parties I've found and come up with some unique pizzas. Some are better than others. I know pizza is basic but maybe there are a few ideas here to inspire others.

There are plenty of dough recipes, use the one you like and are comfortable using. If I refer to pizza sauce in a recipe the one I use is below. use as much sauce as you like, Some like lots some like little.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5260(1).jpg Views:	9 Size:	59.4 KB ID:	1084600

Wood oven cooked pizza sauce.

Several sprigs of fresh basil leaves
    1 medium yellow onion thin sliced
    1 28 ounce can of Whole peeled San Marzano Tomatoes
    1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil

I use my small cast iron dish (picture attached) with the slices of onion, then the basil leaves on top of the onion. Lastly I line the tomatoes on top. I will pour some of the sauce they come in but not overload the dish. I put this in the wood oven for 15-30 min depending on my fire. I look for a light char on top of the tomatoes and its bubbling. You can smell when the onion and basil are cooked. Pull the dish out of the oven pour it all into a mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and use an immersion blender to mix. If you do not have an immersion blender a regular one will work. ****Be VERY careful blending!!!! this is very hot and will cause burns if your blending is not done safely****

Makes about 4 cups of sauce and freezes well

This is the base sauce I use for all my pizzas, I know some people like garlic in their sauce, you can slice the garlic and put it in the onion layer.

Chorizo and Feta Pizza

Dough of your choice for 12" pizza
    Pizza sauce

1-2 small Spanish chorizo sausage links thinly sliced
    4 mushrooms thinly sliced
    mozzarella
    3 tablespoons of roasted red pepper
    feta, crumbled

Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; top with sliced mushrooms. Sprinkle the diced roasted red pepper on the pizza, then top with the chorizo slices. Sprinkle the top with feta cheese to taste.

Comment

Pig and the Fig pizza

Dough for 12 “ pizza
      .5 cup Balsamic vinegar
      extra virgin olive oil for brushing and tossing arugula
      4 large, plump fresh figs stemmed and sliced crosswise about ¼ inch thick
      2 – 3 ounces thick-cut prosciutto torn into small strips (I like extra)
      4 ounces mozzarella coarsely grated
      ½ - 1 cup arugula leaves, tossed with just enough olive oil to coat freshly ground black pepper

In a small saucepan, reduce the balsamic vinegar over medium-low heat by about two-thirds, until syrupy. Set aside.

Brush dough with olive oil, Spread Mozzarella on dough then spread the sliced figs, and prosciutto

When pizza is done scatter with the arugula and drizzle with a little balsamic syrup. Enjoy!

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Mmmm. I have fond memories of eating figs fresh from the trees until I got a stomach ache as a kid. I can honestly say I've never thought of them as a pizza topping, but this looks intriguing! Sweet from the figs, savory from the prosciutto. I bet its really good!

Thanks Captain!

Comment

• CaptGreg
        CaptGreg commented
        Editing a comment
        more to come

Looks like a fun ride, I'm in!

Comment

Have you ever noticed pizzas seem to be flat?
        Boboli Bread. BBQ sauce, roasted chicken, cheese.
        Last edited by bbqLuv; August 29, 2021, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Pizza and PBR,
          What do you pair your pizza with?

Comment

• CaptGreg
            CaptGreg commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm a Bordeaux guy or bold Napa or Sonoma Cabs. Sometimes a ballsie Pinot Noir. * edit for my loved Hendricks Martini, dry, with just a touch of olive juice.
            Last edited by CaptGreg; August 29, 2021, 07:08 PM.

This one is really good but takes some time and effort. you can actually divide this for two pizzas

Fresh Corn, Poblano, and Cheddar Pizza

1 large poblano chile
          Olive oil mister or cooking spray
          2 c. fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
          1 garlic clove, minced
          1 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/2 c. 1% low-fat milk
          2 large egg whites
          1 large egg
          1/2 teaspoon salt
          1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
          1 c. (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
          Dough for 12 inch pizza

Place poblano chile on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning halfway through cooking time.

Place pepper in a zip-top bag and seal; let stand 10 minutes. Carefully remove skin, seeds, and stem, then chop pepper.

Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with oil or cooking spray. Add corn, green onions, garlic, and zucchini; sauté 2 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Stir in milk; cook over medium heat 3-4 minutes or until liquid has almost evaporated. Cool slightly.

In a large bowl, whisk together egg whites, egg, salt, and pepper. Stir in poblano pepper, corn mixture, and cheese.

Spread over pizza dough and bake

Comment

Duck Confit and Fried Egg Pizza

1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
            2 cloves garlic
            ½ cup Mozzarella shredded
            4 ounces shredded duck confit
            1 large egg
            1/2 cups baby arugula
            1/8 cup grated parmesan cheese
            Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
            Dough for 12 inch pizza

Warm 1/3 cup olive oil and the garlic in a small saucepan over low heat, about 30 minutes.

Stretch the dough into a 12-inch round on a floured surface. Brush the dough with 3 tablespoons garlic oil; top mozzarella then with the duck.

Meanwhile, fry the egg sunny-side up in a skillet with the remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil.

Top the pizza with the fried egg, arugula and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with truffle oil, if desired.

I will sometimes crack a raw egg on top of pizza in center and let it cook on top of the pizza instead of frying the egg on the stove.

Comment

Bacon-Basil Pesto and Chicken Pizza

Pesto sauce:
              1 Cup basil leaves
              1 clove garlic
              1/4 Cup bacon crumbled
              ¼ Cup Parmesan cheese
              1/4 - ½ Cup olive oil

½ - ¾ Cup Mozzarella shredded
              1 chicken breast
              2-3 slices bacon chopped
              Ground black pepper
              Dough for 12 inch pizza

In a medium skillet, cook 6-7 slices of bacon (or more as desired). Finely chop of half of the bacon for the pesto sauce, while reserving the rest for topping.

In the same skillet, cook chicken breast over medium heat until cooked through. Shred chicken and set aside.

Add basil leaves and garlic to a food processor. Blend together until only fine pieces remain. Add Parmesan cheese. Blend until combined. With food processor running on low, slowly drizzle in enough olive oil until a spreadable consistency is reached. Transfer mixture to a small bowl. Stir in bacon.

Spread bacon-basil pesto sauce in an even layer. Top off with shredded mozzarella, followed by bacon, chicken and finally a sprinkle of ground black pepper.

Comment

Andouille Sausage & Pesto Pizza

12 ounces andouille sausage sliced and precooked
                2 tablespoons basil pesto
                ½ Cup Gruyere cheese shredded *
                ½ Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
                ¼- ½ cup Arugula
                extra virgin olive oil
                Basil Pesto
                Dough for 12 inch pizza

After forming the pizza dough, spread the pesto evenly on the dough base and top with Gruyere and Mozzarella cheese. Scatter the andouille sausage over the top, place the pizza in oven until desired doneness. Remove the pizza from the oven and top with the arugula that has been tossed with a splash of extra virgin olive oil.

*I sometimes use Baby Swiss, and sometimes substitute extra Gruyere or Baby Swiss for the Mozzarella

Comment

Nutella and Marshmallow Pizza

4-6 tablespoons or Nutella or other hazelnut spread
                  ½ - 1 Cup mini Marshmallows More or less to your liking
                  pizza dough for 12 inch pizza

Roll out pizza dough into circle, use fork to poke a few holes in it

Bake pizza dough in wood fired oven until golden remove it before it gets to well done, you just want it stiffened up so it can be worked with.

Spread Nutella on the pizza crust, top with marshmallows. This will cook FAST in the oven and you may need to turn a few times not to burn the marshmallows to much. I try and get them golden brown.

Let it cool for a couple of minutes Cut and serve but also warn hot Nutella can burn, try to serve warm but not hot.

Comment

Wood Fired Canadian Beaver Tails

1-2 Tablespoons melted butter
                    1-2 Tablespoons brown sugar More or less to your liking
                    1-1 1/2 Teaspoons cinnamon (I use light brown sugar)
                    pizza dough for 12 inch pizza

Roll out pizza dough into oblong shape.

Bake pizza dough in wood fired oven until puffed golden. Remove when done.

Slather with the melted butter, brown sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon.

Comment

Not sure how I missed this thread last August. There are some innovative ideas here and I will definitely try the sauce recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here