Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian Classics – The Series – Mostaccioli

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian Classics – The Series – Mostaccioli

When I was growing up, there was one kid on the block (by the name of Georgie Color), who had the dubious distinction of being the only kid with an above ground swimming pool in his backyard. Of course, summers at the Color house were a given. Now Georgie’s father was I think of German descent but his mother was Southern Italian all the way. Mrs. C always had a pot of something on the stove; Marinara sauce, some sort of stew and of course a baked pasta dish in the oven. Her favorite, which of course became everyone’s, was a baked dish called Mostaccioli. It got so popular that I begged my mother to go get Mrs. C’s recipe and even she started making it quite often as well.

For those not familiar with this dish, Mostaccioli is a baked pasta dish similar to baked Ziti. Think of it as a cross between spaghetti and lasagna. Mostaccioli itself is a type of tubular pasta, known in Italy as Penne Lisce. It has the same basic shape as Penne Rigate, which is probably more recognizable. However, the two differ in almost every other way. Penne is from Northern Italy and made from durum wheat. It has ridges that tend to hold the sauce its combined with. Mostaccioli is primarily a Penne from the south of Italy, is smooth in texture and is made from semolina wheat. Each is designed for a specific purpose although truth be known, they are both interchangeable in my opinion. In fact, I can’t really find Mostaccioli in my local grocery store so this recipe was actually made with Penne.

So, for those who love baked pasta dishes like lasagna, this recipe is one of my very favorites going back to those summers and more simpler times. It harkens back to swimming pools, horsing around and sitting down at Mrs. C’s kitchen table eating a bowl full of Mostaccioli. I like it so much that I chose it as my first baked pasta dish in this Italian Classics series.

Let’s go ahead then and make a big batch of Mostaccioli and make Mrs. C. proud !!

Click image for larger version  Name:	mostaccioli 02.jpg Views:	124 Size:	166.8 KB ID:	1193374

Mostaccioli

Course. Lunch or Dinner.
    Cuisine. Italian-American
    Makes. 10 to 12 servings
    Takes. 60 minutes prep, 60 total minutes cooking time

Ingredients

16 ounces Mostaccioli (or Penne) pasta
    2 pounds bulk Italian sausage (mild, hot or mixed)
    2-28-ounce cans whole tomatoes (like San Marzano’s)
    2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 medium onion chopped
    6-8 garlic cloves finely chopped
    15 ounces ricotta cheese
    1 large egg beaten
    1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
    2-3 cups grated Mozzarella cheese
    1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
    1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    1 teaspoon Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
    1/4 cup white wine
    Oil for sauté

Directions

In a large Dutch oven, brown off the Italian sausage for 6-8 minutes. Remove the cooked sausage to a separate bowl and set aside. Drain most of the fat from the sausage leaving a small amount for sautéing or supplement with cooking oil. Add the onions to the pot and sweat them down for about 5 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or so until fragrant. Also add the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and red chili flakes.

During the sauté, add the white wine to the pan. Scrape the fond from the bottom of the pot and continue to cook off the alcohol. When complete, add back all of the cooked sausage and stir to combine.

Next, either hand crush or pulse in a blender the contents from the cans of whole tomatoes. Add them to the pot with the other ingredients. Add to that the tomato paste, continue to stir and bring to a low simmer. While stirring, add in all but a small handful of parsley (for garnish) to the sauce. Continue to simmer low, stirring occasionally.

In the meantime, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the pasta to a firm al dente finish. Do not overcook, the eventual baking process will finish it off. Drain in a colander and set aside.

As the pasta is cooking, combine the ricotta, the beaten egg, 1 cup of the mozzarella and the Romano cheeses in a separate bowl mixing well.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mostaccioli 01.jpg Views:	126 Size:	159.6 KB ID:	1193373 Click image for larger version  Name:	mostaccioli 03.jpg Views:	126 Size:	149.8 KB ID:	1193372

Assembly

Fire up your oven to 425*F.

Add some non-stick cooking spray to a large baking dish. Begin by ladling a layer of meat sauce to the bottom of the dish. Follow that by adding all of the pasta in another even layer on top of the sauce. Next ladle the remaining sauce over the top of the pasta. Work the sauce down into the pasta to insure an even disbursal of sauce coating and covering the pasta.

Next, take a rubber spatula and spread the ricotta cheese mixture over the top of the pasta sauce. Finally, sprinkle the remaining mozzarella over the top of the ricotta cheese layer, adding more if necessary to cover the entire dish.

Place the baking dish onto a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese topping is golden brown. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes before serving.

Click image for larger version  Name:	mostaccioli 04.jpg Views:	126 Size:	166.4 KB ID:	1193375

Once again, this dish is something I recommend you try, it will not disappoint. Serve this for large gatherings with a fresh spring salad, a nice bottle of Chianti and I guarantee you’ll be a hero!! This recipe has Mrs. C’s seal of approval, I know she would be proud !! Give it a try!

Buon Appetito !!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	mostaccioli 05.jpg Views:	124 Size:	152.5 KB ID:	1193376
    Trout Signing Out !!

Last edited by Troutman; March 24, 2022, 04:45 AM.

Wow. Looks fantastic and thanks for sharing. Can’t wait to try making it myself.

Comment

• captainlee
      captainlee commented
      Editing a comment
      You're killing me !!!!!! Wow, this is a must try asap. Thanks for the post.

Ya got my mouth waterin' - again.

Comment

Thank you Troutman ! I recently made a baked Penne, nothing like this. It's on my to cook list. Now to get it into Paprika.

Done, Paprika is amazing. Was not sure copy, paste, go and download would work with the post. It did it perfectly. Just the recipe and saved the web link.

Comment

Great recipe. Thanks a ton for sharing!

Comment

This will be done this week, especially since I'm having freezer issues. I have all of the ingredients (I've been stocking up what with the world situation) and homemade Italian sausage to use. I made the veal dish last week and it was great!.

Comment

That looks wonderful. I am starving just looking at it!

Comment

Another 4-bagger, T-Man! I feel so fortunate to have grown up with and around many Italian families, some of which are as close to me now as 50 years ago. Most were 2nd generation and newer so their cuisine had a bit more of an American twist, but they were taught to cook by their nonnas and nonnis from the old country, and my own mother learned from some of them as well. As a boy, and for as long as mom was alive she'd cook a lasagna for my birthday dinner. I'm going to love trying your recipe!!

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Those nonnas and noonis are a cherished tradition from what seems like a lost time so long ago. Old world traditions have been so diluted through the generations as to almost be lost in the fabric of America. Kind of miss those old ways, the little I got to witness them.

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                I remember some of them could speak very little English, but were so very kind and loving people (unless you pissed them off!!).

Good recipes that stir up fond memories are a double bonus, thanks Steve. My mother was a Neapolitan so this was a common dish in our household when growing up. Two thoughts popped to mind in the "authenticity" of Mrs. C's recipe. No bell pepper and the addition of tomato paste...........the "secret" of many Southern Italian dishes.....somewhat like fish sauce to Asian dishes.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Yea that an an anchovy while sautéing the onion for further umami flavor !! Although I've been to northern Italy a couple of times and love the cooking, the south and their traditions defiantly one ups them imho.

Wow! Another stellar write up. Thanks for sharing this. Can't wait to make it!

Comment

Thanks for the recipe, looks fabulous!

Comment

I made this tonight. I actually found Mostaccioli pasta at my local grocery chain. HEB did not have it but Market Basket did. This area has a notable Italian population so the local stores usually have a decent selection of pasta types.

I used the last two pounds of my homemade Italian sausage for this recipe. A simple delicious one hour or so meal. The sauce recipe can be used for several dishes: add some basil and serve over pasta, use for lasagna, etc. I served it with a nice Toscana from Italy.

Thank you for all of the recipes you post Steve Troutman

Click image for larger version

Name:	a1.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	311.8 KB
ID:	1194661

Click image for larger version

Name:	a2.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1194662

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    David’s right, the sauce can be used for a variety of pasta dishes, versatile and very tasty !! Good job 👍

Troutman you appear to have hit out of the park again! It’s on the list to make for sure!

Comment

Troutman If you don't have the 1/4 cup of white wine one hand, what would you use for a substitute?

Comment

• 58limited
                      58limited commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think a red wine would go well with this, otherwise a little chicken stock would work too.

• Troutman
                      Troutman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yea stock would work, you’re just de-glazing the pan.

• jlazar
                      jlazar commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks. That is what I was thinking,

Made up a pan last night, and had it for breakfast today. Next time I make it, I will be at home where I have a stick blender. Crushing the tomatoes by hand works, but it's a mess. I was worried the sauce would be too thin, and make the final dish watery, but that wasn't the case at all. If I had to guess, the still firm pasta took care of the extra liquid. Thanks for sharing this! It is definitely going into the pasta rotation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20220324_203833039.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	1195097
                    Last edited by willxfmr; March 24, 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here