Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fairchild Kitchen pizza sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fairchild Kitchen pizza sauce

So my sauce is super simple and it gets really positive reviews from my customers, only a few notes about it.

I have removed any oil and garlic from my sauce, a few reasons. A. I think that we all have different wants for amounts of garlic, so I recommend doing garlic confit and allow everyone to drizzle the amount of garlic oil they prefer. B. I think garlic oil mixed into the sauce and refrigerated can be a bit off putting in visual.

To break my recipe down to a 28 ounce can, I make this with #10 cans.

this should make approx 4 servings. I weigh them out to 150-160 grams. Individual servings can also be frozen for at least up to a month from my own experiments, have not tested longer, certain it can go longer

1 28 ounce can of whole peeled San Marzano tomatoes
    1 tablespoon of organic or high quality and aromatic dried oregano
    3/4 tablespoon of kosher salt.

In a bowl add all three together and either hand crush, or use an immersion blender (this is my method). refrigerate for 24 hours and then taste to see if it needs any adjustments, I find none needed.

i do not precook this sauce, I prefer this sauce to be only cooked upon pizza bake.

A #10 can will make 18 servings at 156 g. which would batch up to 4 tablespoons of oregano and 3 tbl of kosher.

Click image for larger version  Name:	6ED07347-9D54-4F52-926E-73FEFB6D42EC.jpg Views:	3 Size:	367.0 KB ID:	1354210

Last edited by Richard Chrz; December 31, 2022, 09:52 PM.

Similar to what I do. I think the simpler the better, let the tomatoes shine through. I spread it thinner than shown, all personal taste. I also, like you, like the fresh taste of the sauce without cooking first. One 28 oz can of San Marzano tomatoes goes a long way. I always add basil and oregano.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      This was a bit more than I would normally put on as well. I did a 16 inch thin crust vs my standard 15 hand toss big air, so I thought maybe a bit more. I do have customers that would want more, but I’m generally 1/2 to 3/4 of a container serving.

• captainlee
      captainlee commented
      Editing a comment
      To me that looks like the normal amount of sauce, my wife would ask for more. Great recipe.

I love that you share these sauce/dough/bread insights with us across multiple threads. Someday when I somehow get to the point where I’m starting to approach this level of expertise I’m going to come back and reference these pages, so thanks in advance.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m always willing to help or share tips to think about, and my recipes. I look forward to watching your practice with flour.

Thanks for posting this Richard. You are showing there is no need for pizza sauce to be complicated. With so much going on between the crust, sauce, cheese, and toppings, it is fine for the sauce to be complimentary and meld with the other flavors. I can’t wait to try this recipe.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you sir, I look forward to your taste review.

Kenji talks about tomatoes in his Long simmer red sauce. His reasoning for the Whole peeled part of tomatoes, and Certified DOP San Marzano’s are what you want. But he suggests the whole peeled prevents manufacturers from using bruised tomatoes, as the tomatoes can be seen. They also have all the flavor you need, the oregano and salt are just compliments to it.

Comment

I too prefer uncooked sauce, but I have a problem. At most I bake 2-3 pies per week which doesn't use very much sauce. I store it in a tight but not canned or sealed mason jar in a 38° fridge. If I get 2 weeks without white fuzz, I consider myself lucky.
      What's the storage secret?

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I refrigerate mine for 24 hours in bulk, then the next day I separate mine into individual servings in the 1/2 lb deli containers and freeze what ever is not going to be used.
        Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 1, 2023, 10:51 AM.

Thanks for sharing! I'm gonna do it. Freezing is a great idea as I always have too much leftover.

Comment

Richard, once again you nailed it. How often have we all discovered that plain and simple is the best. Great post and thanks for your recipe!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I read a book by the Founder of Patagonia’s founder Yvonne Chouinard - Let My People Go Surfing. His approach to developing a garment is, it’s not perfect until you can’t take anything more away from it. It resonates with me in many of my beliefs.

I look forward to your taste review.
          Last edited by Richard Chrz; January 1, 2023, 12:36 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here