Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scape Pesto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scape Pesto

This year I planted garlic, the hard neck variety which sprouts a stem called a scape that will eventually flower if left on the plant. It is growing practice to cut it off after it curls to allow the plant to use it energy to grow the bulb. Sometimes you will see these at Farmer's Markets as they are edible and useful for flavoring where garlic is used.

I found a number of recipes online but decided on making a pesto to have with pasta. Very simple; scapes, olive oil, grated parmigiano-reggiano, walnuts, basil, parsley, lemon and a bit of salt and pepper. After cutting the scapes into 1" long pieces I added them and all the ingredients except oil and lemon in a food processor to combine and then the lemon and oil to give the consistency desired. I blended to a slightly chunky paste.

Call me a skeptic but I thought the garlic flavor would be overwhelming but it turned out very flavorful when mixed with some trottole (large curly) noodles which allowed for a lot of surface area for the pesto to cling.

Didn't think of taking a picture until the leftovers were in a container.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pesto.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	1227589

I always put lemon in my pesto, i zest the entire rind and then add the juice. This looks good πŸ™ŒΓ°ΕΈΒΒ»

Comment

• SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      MsTwiggy I do so myself from time to time. Kinda like pesto meets gremolata!

SheilaAnn I don't think I've ever had gremolata. Usually I make a really big batch of pesto and I freeze it in 1/3 cup amounts. I think because i make so much the lemon is not as forward as in a gremolata.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here