Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spicy Salmon Poke Bowl

theroc straight outta Sitka!
    Attached Files

Spicy Sesame Poké Bowl

Seafood
    Prep Time: 25 min | Cook Time: 20 min | Servings: Serves: 1-6

Ingredients:
    Fish:
    1-3 pounds coho, king, or sockeye salmon (albacore tuna is great too)
    Rice:
    1 cup jasmine rice
    ½ tablespoon coconut oil
    1½ cups cold water
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1 sheet of nori, chopped or torn
    Marinade:
    1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
    1 tablespoon toasted black sesame seeds
    1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger root
    ¼ cup light soy sauce
    2 tablespoons chili paste (like sambal oelek)
    1½ tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon rice vinegar
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
    Vegetable and Toppings:
    Thinly sliced carrots
    Thinly sliced radish
    Thinly sliced red pepper
    Diced cucumber
    Sliced avocado
    Thinly sliced cabbage
    Thinly sliced nori
    Unsweetened coconut flakes
    Chopped green scallions
    Sesame seeds
    Spicy Mayo:
    â…› cup mayonnaise
    ¼ cup coconut cream (or sour cream/plain yogurt)
    1 tablespoon sriracha
    1½ tablespoons honey
    â…› teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
    2 teaspoons light soy sauce
    1 teaspoon rice vinegar
    Salt to taste

Directions:
    FILLET FISH
    Lay fish with skin side down on cutting board. If right handed, tail side of the fillet points left. Dig first three fingers and nails gently into the very tip of the tail and make an insert cut just in front of your fingers. Run the blade along the length of the fish between the meat and the skin, applying slight pressure. Do not saw back and forth or the delicate meat will shred. Discard skin or pan fry it with butter and salt until crispy (because it is delicious!).
    Flip over salmon and notice gray color striations. This is an insulating fat packed with omega-3, but has an intense flavor. Slice thinly to remove the gray striations for a poke bowl.
    Flip fish back over and remove pin bones. Cut fillet into small cubes, ½ -1 inch thick. Put cubed coho into a medium bowl and refrigerate.
    MAKE RICE
    Rinse rice until water runs clear to remove starches. Strain rice and water. Add coconut oil to a saucepan or rice cooking pot and melt, then turn off heat. Add water, salt, and rice to pot and stir to combine with oil. Bring to slow boil over medium heat and stir once. Turn heat as low as it will go (less than a simmer) and cover pot tightly for 13-14 minutes. Remove rice from heat when water is absorbed and rice is easily separated when fluffed. Fluff rice quickly, return the lid, and let sit for 8-10 minutes off the burner until rice is tender. Put rice in a bowl, add lime juice and nori. Mix ingredients gently and set aside.
    MAKE MARINADE
    For the marinade, combine melted coconut oil, toasted sesame seeds, and ginger to medium bowl. Let mixture rest for 10 minutes. Add remaining marinade ingredients and whisk for 1 minute. Add chopped salmon to marinade. Return mixture to the fridge and let marinade 10-20 minutes to taste.
    MAKE SPICY MAYO
    Mix all ingredients by hand or with mixer until smooth and silky. Salt to taste and set aside.
    ASSEMBLE POKÉ BOWL
    Add ½ cup rice for base layer, top with wild salmon (and desired amount of marinade). For beautiful presentation, add any combination of the vegetables along the sides of the bowl. Top with scallions, sesame seeds and coconut flakes and drizzle with spicy mayo.

Source: https://sitkasalmonshares.com/blogs/...same-poke-bowl
    ​

my riffs: I made sesame spinach last night, I have done furikake rice instead of nori rice, I omit the coconut flakes all together because I hate them (but unrefined coconut oil is ok, go figure), spicy Mayo uses mayo and sour cream (coconut cream has no place in my house), I never have sambal so I use sriracha. Edamame would be good here, too!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here