Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Campfire/Smoked Baked Beans (serves 10-12 persons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all!

After posting about my preferred Dutch Oven in the main channel, I was urged to post my smoked baked bean recipe here.

This is my 6-bean recipe that started from hunting with my grandfather years ago using up the leftovers from the trip, into a recipe that I have modified to work in my BGE or CookShack electric smoker, but it started as a campfire recipe. It also can be prepared indoors/ in outdoor kitchen using a conventional oven with the modifications as noted.

Obviously, you can use fresh ingredients, or soak dried beans, but that adds one to three hours to the prep time. When i have fresh tomatoes, onions, garlic, and beans out of the garden I am a purist and spend the extra time. If I am camping, i just evaluate the weight vs. time for dried vs.canned beans.

Personally, I like cooking it in the grill nestled down in the coals for about an hour with a little soaked pecan, apple, or hickory wood for the smoke, then smoking pork ribs or tenderloin on the grate above to have a complete meal. Of course, if you like baked beans, these can be a complete meal by themselves.

If you try it, let me know what you think. Or if you tweak it, what changes you would suggest.

Enjoy.!

Ingredients:

6 to 10 slices (thick) bacon (1 lb. can be hickory smoked)
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 pound Johnsonville sweet Italian sausage or leftover chopped, shredded smoked pork butt/pork roast

1 can (15 oz) pinto beans
    1 can (15 oz) Great Northern beans
    1 can (15 oz) chili beans
    1 can (15 oz) red kidney beans
    1 can (15 oz)
    black beans
    1 can ( 15 oz) pork & beans (or any other type(s) you want/can find)
    1/4 cup ketchup
    3/4 cup tomato sauce
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar

2-3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1-3 Tablespoons Liquid Smoke (conventional oven only, and only if you want smoky taste)

1-2 Tablespoon yellow mustard
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1/4 teaspoon of salt (if needed)

Directions:
    1. On stove top, brown sausage, add onion and garlic. Sauté together until onion is soft.
    2. In Dutch Oven, rub and line bacon in first on bottom and sides to coat surface. Add sausage/ onion/ garlic mixture.
    3. Add beans, including all liquid. Add remainder of ingredients to Dutch Oven, except salt.
    4. Mix thoroughly without dislodging bacon, taste to determine need for salt. With the sausage, bacon and beans there normally is enough salt and doesn't require additional salt.
    5a. Place Dutch Oven without lid in smoker set at 190 to 215 degrees with a small amount of hickory wood. Cook 8 to 10 hours without opening smoker
    5b. Place Dutch Oven without lid on (15 oz)
    grill grate set at 275 to 315 degrees with a small amount of water-soaked hickory wood/chips . Cook 3 to 4 hours, only opening grill after one hour to stir (stirring optional). DO can be set in coals without grate; Follow campfire recipe below.
    5c. (Campfire) Once you get the coals going well, place Dutch Oven with lid embedded in coals. Cover top of Dutch Oven with 3 to 6 inched of coals. Cook 60 to 90 minutes (assumes internal temperature cooks at between 350-375 degrees) depending on how much “crust” is desired.
    5d. (If all else fails or bad weather, conventional oven) Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place Dutch Oven with lid on in preheated oven for 75 to 90 minutes.
    6. Remove Dutch oven from smoker/campfire/oven; stir well and let sit with lid on for about 15 minutes before serving.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here