Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blueberry crisp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blueberry crisp

I looked at about half a dozen recipes for this, not that it really needs a recipe due to its being really rustic in nature; but because I’ve never made it, and I don’t really do desserts ever, I wanted to get an idea of proportions and variations to the basic structure. So I’m not going to claim this as my own, I’m going to link to The Pioneer Woman’s recipe and point out what I changed. Oh: this is incredibly easy. Techniques involved are measuring, stirring, and pouring.

Pioneer Woman Blueberry Crumble

FOR THE CRUMBLE:
    1 1/2 c. rolled or quick-cooking oats
    3/4 c. all-purpose flour
    3/4 c. brown sugar
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    3/4 c. melted butter, plus more for the pan

FOR THE FILLING:
    2/3 c. granulated sugar
    1/4 c. cornstarch
    8 c. fresh blueberries
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    2 tbsp. lemon juice
    1. Preheat the oven to 350Ëš.
    2. For the crumble: In a medium bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the melted butter until all of the dry bits are moistened and small clumps form. Place the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or freezer for 10 minutes, while you make the filling.
    3. For the filling: In a large bowl, combine the sugar and corn starch. Stir in the blueberries, vanilla extract and lemon juice until well coated.
    4. Butter a three quart casserole dish. Place the blueberry filling in the casserole in an even layer and top evenly with the crumble. Bake for 45 minutes until the edges are bubbly and the topping is crisp and golden brown. Let rest for 15 minutes then serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

A couple things. First, I watch this lady’s stuff on Sunday, and she’s got it going on. She cooks the way real people cook, sometimes a little fancy and sometimes a little convenient. One recipe might call for cutting the corn off the cob, another might call for a bag of frozen corn. Just like most of us do.

Second, she calls it a crumble, but if it has oats in the topping, it’s a crisp. Who really cares, but that nit has now been picked.

I changed a few things. First, I had about half a cup of crushed slivered almonds left over from something else, I added those to the crisp. Second, I grated the rind from the lemon into the filling. Honestly, you can do those things or don’t. I don’t think they made a difference.

Third, I used frozen blueberries instead of fresh. FYI, these were better tasting than most of the fresh blueberries we buy! They weren’t fully thawed by the time I had everything ready to assemble, so I looked up the internal temp for a blueberry crisp, and I found 165*. So I just cooked it to 165*, that added about half an hour. (I did find that you shouldn’t cook fruits to over about 185, the pectin dissolves and the fruit turns into sauce. Good to know.) Alternately you can let the berries thaw, that would probably take another half hour or so.

This is freakin’ fantastic. The blueberries explode with flavor. The crisp is perfect. And it is about half as sweet as commercial canned blueberry filling, but still dessert sweet. I’d do this again any time. It would be a fantastic dessert for, say… a barbecue!

Click image for larger version  Name:	B008F183-D995-484D-9248-38117D8DC6CD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.26 MB ID:	1187713

Click image for larger version  Name:	FF93F506-CF06-438D-9C36-8E8B3C96A1C9.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1187712

Click image for larger version  Name:	D9BD83D4-4C7B-4D96-A2F5-BE52BD589601.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.13 MB ID:	1187710

Click image for larger version  Name:	3AD016B7-1912-4EBA-A9B9-C293C01C184C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.34 MB ID:	1187711

Click image for larger version  Name:	E3DA2E89-0ED3-48D8-B134-8C097A1A0FB3.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.75 MB ID:	1187709
    Last edited by Mosca; March 10, 2022, 03:27 PM.

That sounds/looks great! gonna have to try it!

Comment

Just WAIT! I'm on my way with Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. WAIT......

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks fantastic BTW!

That does look super.

Comment

I would eat a big big bowl of that,,,,

Comment

Originally posted by Greygoose View Post
          I would eat a big big bowl of that,,,,
          Aye!

Click image for larger version

Name:	8E6BCC26-F8D2-4D1D-B715-60D7555545EF.jpeg
Views:	256
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	1187826

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

So is that like $100 worth of blueberries ????

I actually think I saw her cook that on her show. Sure looks decadent, not sure that would agree with my girlish figure

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
                So is that like $100 worth of blueberries ????

I actually think I saw her cook that on her show. Sure looks decadent, not sure that would agree with my girlish figure
                Yeah, that one serving is a week’s worth of hard sugar for me, I’m trying to get my A1C under 7. But it sure is delicious. We’ll have it again this weekend, then I’m cutting into squares and freezing.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here